• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling near San Diego/ Poway?

RedJeep2.0

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Like anything?

What kind?

Rocks? trail?

Is the pre running bigger then the wheeling?

Sorry, this might be stupid to ask...

Well, let's see. The only place fairly near you is off of Deer Springs road. It is private property and is marked in a few places but it is wheeled regularly anyway. There are not really any other decent spots near there. I would not say prerunning is more popular than crawling here but it is very popular. Are you moving out this way?

You're in the middle of many areas, but not right on top of anything in particular. Corral Canyon OHV, Ocotillo Wells/Anza Borrego, Superstition Mountain. Rocks and/or sand and dirt.
How far do you want to drive?

It's still way up in the air...
My woman got an offer there.
Just want really know be4 we sit down to think about ur.

I'll try and map these places.

Now I drive like an hour (45mins) to browns camp.
If there happen to not be any place to wheel close by, it would be a "Hell NO!"

Just want to get all the info be4 we say yes or no.

Your looking at anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hour drives to get to the good places to wheel in San Diego/Imperial County from Poway.

But the variety is great. Slow or Fast, you pick. It does get real hot in the desert, so summer season is mostly done at night. Though there is always Big Bear for some high elevation temperature relief.

Lot of places to wheel in San Diego and Imperial Counties. Superstition, Corral Canyon, Borrego, Ocotillo, Pancake Rock and many others. The desert is great for prerunning and some dunes, but there are also plenty of places to go exploring and crawling.

You should just give your keys to me nick. Start from scratch. Who you kidding you don't wheel :)

You could always drive north for a couple hours, hammers? I have a cousin that likes to take his yota out to various places. He is down in la mesa. Not far at all from that area. My whole family is down there.

Don't kid your self, you move down there, you will be at the beach. I always think about bringing my rig when I visit.. but there is sooo much to do.

You can board up in big bear too, nothing like hood, but I prefer it.

This message sent from my phone.. which contains glue... no tape... yet..

hey do you think a nearly stock 2wd xj (3"lift 30") could have a good time in lawrence welk? or is it 4wd territory...

If you are a semi-adept driver, then you could have fun up there. only one obstacle to get you in the (LEGAL) way that I go. I could through a strap on ya and get you right through it if you are having trouble. I went last week and never touch 4wd while I was showing some stock 4wds around.

If you want me to let you know next time that I am going, PM me your cell and I will put you on my list of people to contact when I go up there, I live 10 minutes aways, so that is quite often.

John

I live in Escondido, which is about a 15-20 minute drive north of Poway, and as others said, most places to wheel are a couple hours drive. I've found 2 hours to Big Bear, 2 hours to Corral Canyon, 2 hours to Anza Borrego, 2.5 or so to Johnson Valley. There are tons of places to wheel actually, and lots of good folks and there are 2 M&G's a month with 30 min drive.

Back