• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I did a stupid thing..(knocking noise)

88justin

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone...i did something stupid!

First, the facts:
88' XJ 5" lift, long arm, replacement packs, D35non-c, 31X10.5" tires, Np231 case, Peugeot, and AA SYE w/tom W cv drive shaft...

so i was driving in the parking lot and i accidentially :) dropped the clutch in first gear a little too fast....I hear a slight chirp of the tires, and a noticeable pop, or loud click! I push the clutch back in and the car is rolling along ... I now hear a thud, thud, thud and occasional clicking noise coming from under the car.

I cant tell if its from the driveshaft, the X-fercase, or the rear axle, or the tranny. but it is there under acceleration and decel. and comes and goes when coasting at about 3-5 Mph. I havent taken it faster since it happened. it seems to be at the frequency of the driveshaft, but arent these things suposed to be strong?

while coasting with the clutch in i can feel a slight pulsation in the motion of the vehicle...like something is rubbing.

I did the AA SYE install, and my guess is that i broke something in the x-case. any ideas?

I really didnt drop it all that hard, no smoking of tires :)

Jacked the rear up and the open diff seems smooth, the rear driveshaft feels tight when i turn it by hand. i dont feel any binding.

Im stuck, and im at college here in TUcson AZ, w/o my tools.

I need to get the beast back on the road ASAP/.

Part of what is making this hard to expalin is the flowmaster makes it a bit hard to hear what is happening.

what usually fails in the x-fercase after one of these AA SYE installs. could a snapring have popped off?

Im open to any and all insight
in the words of Lilu " Please help" thanks

Justin

You could have possibly snapped an axle shaft. Being as how it's a non-c-clip design,it would stay in the housing even if it did break. Try this:
1)Jack up the rear of the rig until both rear tires are off the ground
2)Set it on jack stands
3)Remove both rear wheels and brake drums
4)Grab the end of the shafts and try to wiggle them up/down or side to side
5)If there's any movement(and it will be quite a bit if it's broken)then you have found the culprit

Dana 35's are a decent axle,so long as you don't abuse them (like clutch drops or neutral drops-especially on larger than stock tires)

Good luck with it!

And for what it's worth,I think your axle would break before the driveshaft would,but that's just MHO :D

It wont be the chain unless you had it in 4wd at the time!

Thanks for the info. If it was the axle, wouldnt the broken end just rotate in the housing since i have an open diff>?

I just took off the rear shaft and inspected it, no problems there.

I drove around a bit in 4lo with the front shaft on only, drove well, but the noise is definitly still there.

THe tranny shifts fine and the xfer case shifts fine . I rotate the yoke by hand and its smooth as can be.

Some questions..:

1) would the noise still come from the rear if the driveshaft is removed? spyder gearrs>?

2) how can i tell if its the transfer case or the transmission?

3) when i have it in 2lo with the rear shaft off, i can run it in gear and i hear nothing suspicious, is that a valid test?

4)should i drain the case and inspect for metal parts?

the noise doesnt seem to be as bad with the rear shaft off,

from a stop, in first gear, the noise doesnt seem to be there too much under acceleration, just once im coasting at parking lot speeds i can hear a pitterpatter and a clacking noise. what could have failed in the transfer case? Im thinking some sort of snapring>?

what is the logical way to find out if its the tranny or the case?

im really limited as far as tools go, no real jack, no air tools to remove the outpout yoke retaining nuts, no puller, the most i could do is remove the transfer case not get it appart.

Anyone know of a good 4x4 shop in Tuscon?

Thank you all so much, i have faith in you all.

justin

I'd pull the diff. cover and inspect the side gears and the ring and pinion gears, see if anything is cracked, broken, or missing teeth. You probably don't want to drive it at all, if you broke something, the pieces can get caught between gears or other parts and cause a lot more problems for you.

Jes said:
Wow, that's the first time I've heard "Dana35" and "decent" in the same sentance! :D :D

Jes

OK! I'm busted! I was just trying to give some advise without getting into the whole "Dana 35 bashing" thing!:D It's a decent axle for your Mom's XJ. Is that better?:D :D

A good point was brought up,as well. The spider gears could also be the source,as they are a notorious weak link in the 35,too.

ok, so ive come to the conclusion that due to time constraints, i will be taking it to a shop to get it fixed(ouch).

I would still like to diagnose the problem myself so that i dont get shafted.

Do you think that i could get the rear up on jack stands and run it in gear to pinpoint the noise?

Also, anyone know of a 4x4 shop in TUSCON AZ? we have The Desert Rat, but i have found they arent that great.

Also, in the Np231, in 2low, does the load go through any gears, or is it just through the mainshaft?

im hoping its the rear end, so i can justify new gears or possibly get a new axle:)

THanks for all the advice. keep it comin

i'm leaning toward the rear axle too. unless you were messing around in 4wd it really shouldnt be the t/case.. buy a cheap gasket and a couple quarts of axle lube and drop the cover and see what you find.. you said it was there under acceleration and deceleration but not as pronounced when it free wheeled with no shaft.. i'm thinking you'll find some spider gear chunks in the dif when you open it...
good luck
mike

A good point was brought up,as well. The spider gears could also be the source,as they are a notorious weak link in the 35,too.

I would agree with Georgia Mike and sidriptide and say its the spider gears. Dont bother getting a gasket, just make a 3/16" bead of RTV around the diff, slap on the cover and call it good after you refill it with fluid. The same thing happened to me execpt I was leaving a stop sign in a hurry and used too much of the stupid petal with the clutch and Bam, I went nowhere. Striped all but 3 teeth off the smaller of the spider gears. That prompted my parental unit to finally come through with the Ford 8.8 I was told I would get for a xmas and birthday gift. I still had to pay for the gears and locker and take the time to install it myself.

AARON

Cool, thanks so much.

Ill get it up on stands tomorrow and check some more stuff.

If it's the spider gears,what is involved in fixing them? shouldnt i only notice spider gears while turning?

does it require compleete setup of the gears....(i'd love to throw in 4.10s...hehe)

thanks, ill let you all know what presents i find in the pumpkin tomorrow night.

Back