• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the "CLUNK"?

deftrip

NAXJA Forum User
So this never happens when the jeep is cold but when it warms up and I reverse and put it into drive I hear this clunk,not all the time, coming from the back. Low differential fluid?

I believe its a stock AW-4 and I've check the trans fluid seems to be fine. I'll have to check the mounts. Sounds like another thing to add to the list of things i need to do.

The "Clunk" is more properly called drive line lash. The AW-4 is a firm shifting trans and age+mileage opens up the tolerances on the drive-line. Shifting between Forward, Park, or Reverse, makes the clunk happen.

Don't worry about it.

Check your U-joints.

Pull the DS and put LOTS of really thick gooey grease on the splines of the TC output shaft. I used the Heavy Duty red stuff from NAPA - very sticky.

Worked for me, I regrease every time I change my oil.

The "Clunk" is more properly called drive line lash. The AW-4 is a firm shifting trans and age+mileage opens up the tolerances on the drive-line. Shifting between Forward, Park, or Reverse, makes the clunk happen.

Don't worry about it.
I like this answer better! Just hope your right.

He IS right but if the clunk is annoying you can mitigate the feeling a lot with the heavy grease.

This is a trick to make it sound and feel better a la Joe Peters postings.

Back