• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for Socal Xjers

pma4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I am in Arizona and Jeeps are not required to have doors (or much at all actually) over here. I am wondering if its legal for me to be in California with a XJ with no doors on the highway?

Both times i have had CHP talk to me this year, it was for my tires with no flairs.Both times i had my doors off, but i did have my back doors on.

I found writes up on this here on naxja.It is easy to do.Just need some time and room to work.This is how i cut my hinges for the front doors, rears are done the same. HTH
doorpin.jpg

all you need is at least two rear view mirrors, and seatbelts. The windshield rear view mirror counts as one, and you need at minimum one on the drivers side. If you have no windshield mounted rear view mirror one on each side will get you by, doors are not required.

Sorry ScottMcneal. I don't need to know how to take them off. I was trying to figure out if I can be in Cali with no doors. My doors are already gone.

So 2 mirrors, seatbelts, plates, tags and insurance.

I concur on the legality of doorlessness. Mirrors are the biggie. On my LJ, I ran doorless all the time. I simply bought a pair of mirror relocation brackets that moved them from the door to the windshield frame.

If you could figure out something similar, you'd be golden.

Might need to figure out the interior light issue, as well. (interior lights on with open doors)

cheers

Sorry ScottMcneal. I don't need to know how to take them off. I was trying to figure out if I can be in Cali with no doors. My doors are already gone.

Didn't quote the other person, sorry about that.Yes you'll be good to go

Thanks scott

No problem, good luck with this.It's fun with no door or half doors.With kids i like the half doors better.

Magnetic mirrors will be stolen first night. This is California after all.. Whatever krap you may have in your heep will be stolen if there are no doors stopping the f'er.. And I mean anything.. when mine was violated they stole my trashcan!! Soft little pop up thing. They also stole my pennies piled up in the cup holder!!!! Along with the head unit, sub box, tool kit (that they did NOT use to steal the head unit with), 2 qt spare oil. Hands where full I guess because they left the Polk Audio MM6's front and rear an older Alpine amp and the HiLift..

My pennies where plundered!!!!!:smsoap:
:piratefla

All of the above they look for anything and pop random stops all the time. I have been hit 5 times for no front plate (in my opinion they look like crap) on normal rides much less my jeep. When you have something lifted they notice everything alot more.

i'll concur with the theft complaints above, if you want to have your jeep remain where you parked it with no doors you're going to need a well hidden kill switch too. Depending on how close to me you're going to be I can install one for you that will stop anyone from taking your jeep that doesn't know how to start it. XJs are unfortunately extremely easy to steal.

I used a motorcycle mirror with a long skinny bolt welded to the end of its stem. when doors are off, it goes into where the hing pin would be and tightens down.

i'll concur with the theft complaints above, if you want to have your jeep remain where you parked it with no doors you're going to need a well hidden kill switch too. Depending on how close to me you're going to be I can install one for you that will stop anyone from taking your jeep that doesn't know how to start it. XJs are unfortunately extremely easy to steal.

I'm not close enough to have you install it for me, but could you PM me the details? I'm getting ready to pull the doors on mine.
Thanks!

Back