• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HOW to make doors on a 98 XJ removeable

columbuscrawlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is there and threads on how to properly make doors on a 98 xj removeable. Ive looked but my eyes are really starting to hurt. LoL
If anyone can lead me to the info that would be great.
THANKS

Don't do it.
Mine are re-moveable and the front ones are a MF ER to get back on.

Last time I had such a terrible time. (I'm pretty handy and coordinated) I wound up ripping the bird feeder off the side of my garage and threw it in the back yard. I was sweating so bad from the high humidity. My wife laughing at me really helped.

I believe there is a oneliner of a monkey and a football... Well that was me.

I'm getting pissed just thinking about it.

Dont waste your time, unless you want to leave them off.

I took the doors off my jeep last year (its a 2 door)

Getting them back on, SUCKED, even the with the help of 2 other guys, and the 2 door door is very heavy.

I ended up needing to get a hinge rebuild kit off ebay, because the door sagged an quite a but, where i actually had to pick the door up, while pushing it to get the door to close.

your doing it wrong... mine go take one quick jerk and they are free. i cut the bottom pin a tad longer than the top so i could set it in, and swing the top into position, and itll just drop right in.

also consider the weight of the 2 door doors are probably significantly more. and since they are longer its putting more stress on the hinge.

Look, If Im a girl and I can do it...then I see no reason why a man shouldnt be able to do it. The fronts are a pain in the arss to get back on sometimes, but once you do it enough you realize its all about the angle. I also drilled out the holes for the pins a bit to make it easier and then just added a shim to get the door alligned again. If you take your time, pay attention to the details, and do it write they should all still open, close, and seal just like they did before your tinkering.

These were the stepe I took

1: Leave windows up
2: unhook wiring from inside kick panel
3: remove door helper pin and just jam the door helper into the door
4: cut hinge pins in half with dremmel (heavy duty cutting wheels)
5: pry whats left of the hinge pins out with breaker bar
6: get 3/8 bolts from home depot
7: cut bottom half of hinge clean off
8: weld bolts in but leave the top bolt shorter for easier door removal
9: paint any fresh metal

they pop on or off in seconds...

if its raining- doors on
if its not - doors off

Some people on this thread need to start lifting a little. The fronts with power everything weigh around 70 lbs I think. At any rate, with a long lower pin and a shorter top, I have no issue dropping mine back into place.

I've spliced in trailer wiring plugs and can do my electrical very quickly now. All 4 doors off in under 10; all 4 back on in under 15.

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk

Some people on this thread need to start lifting a little. The fronts with power everything weigh around 70 lbs I think. At any rate, with a long lower pin and a shorter top, I have no issue dropping mine back into place.

I've spliced in trailer wiring plugs and can do my electrical very quickly now. All 4 doors off in under 10; all 4 back on in under 15.

^This

All I did was drill out the hinges to 3/8" and get some 3/8" pull pins and I can have the doors on in less than 5 min.

Look, If Im a girl and I can do it...then I see no reason why a man shouldnt be able to do it.

I'm gonna have to be the one to say it.......pics or it didn't happen! Ahahaha! :D

Pics of your wiring? That is the biggest pain in the ass for me, especially in the front. Just got my rear doors off recently and I wired in some connectors, but they wires just pulled right out. Time to solder I guess.

I have manual windows.......makes all the wiring issues a non issue for me! :D

I have power everything on my 96 and cut all the wires and never looked back.

My reasoning is if its windows down weather, its doors off weather, and it takes me 5 minutes to remove all 4 and walk them into my garage or backyard.

As far as locks go, if I'm willing to leave my XJ doorless somewhere (which I am), I'm willing to leave the doors on unlocked. And I've lived in New Brunswick NJ and Elizabeth NJ on the border of Newark.

Back