• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00XJ REAR MAIN SEAL - WARNING

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
There are two rear main seals for the 2000 XJ 4.0L. The common double lip orange one that all the write ups cover and the black single lip one I have.

What a PITA this has turned into. The single lip black rear main does not have the little wings on the lower seal. Here's the kicker...NAPA, O'Reilly, the local dealer & my former parts house did not identify the alternate P/N and could not locate the correct part...it was the tweaker looking gal at Auto-Zone. Go figure.

So the warning is to all you folks with 2000 XJs, get both seals on the bench before you start taking your Jeep apart.

Yeah, sometimes meth makes women smarter. In my experience, the women working at vatozone are worthless, just like the men.
There is a hot girl that works at my local NAPA that runs circles around the men however.

Believe it or not, my shitty haynes manual mentions the fact that there are two different types of seals, go freakin figure.

Yeah, sometimes meth makes women smarter. In my experience, the women working at vatozone are worthless, just like the men.
There is a hot girl that works at my local NAPA that runs circles around the men however.

Believe it or not, my shitty haynes manual mentions the fact that there are two different types of seals, go freakin figure.

Depends on the store. Some are good, others just rely on the computer. Pop in to mine whenever ya see my XJ there.

There are two rear main seals for the 2000 XJ 4.0L. The common double lip orange one that all the write ups cover and the black single lip one I have.

What a PITA this has turned into. The single lip black rear main does not have the little wings on the lower seal. Here's the kicker...NAPA, O'Reilly, the local dealer & my former parts house did not identify the alternate P/N and could not locate the correct part...it was the tweaker looking gal at Auto-Zone. Go figure.

So the warning is to all you folks with 2000 XJs, get both seals on the bench before you start taking your Jeep apart.

Post a couple of photos of both seals,
So everyone knows what to look for!
Is it only the 2000 model year that has 2 types of RMSs?

You can't distinguish by color or lip style. All the ones i have used on my 2000 have been orange, double lip, just without the wings. IIRC they may have all been Felpro.

The later style one doesn't have the wings for the cap side seal. You have two identical pieces in the kit.

I ran into this problem once when ordering a block gasket kit. I think if you have the later style seal you should be safe ordering a 2001 seal.

I replaced the RMS on my wife's 2000 recently. They didn't have the correct part, I just made the other one fit, it works just fine. I'm pretty sure I just had to cut off the extra wings.

I replaced the RMS on my wife's 2000 recently. They didn't have the correct part, I just made the other one fit, it works just fine. I'm pretty sure I just had to cut off the extra wings.

I did that with the 1st attempt, the seal that came with the gasket set and it leaked like a seive. I pick up the single lip seal tonight after work and will have a photo taken of it.

Post a couple of photos of both seals,
So everyone knows what to look for!
Is it only the 2000 model year that has 2 types of RMSs?

Here is my 2000 rear main seal i got from the stealership for $24.
rmsMOPAR.jpg

This is the BS40183 seal with the lips i got from Checker which does not fit my 2000.
bearingcapcompare.png

Hope this help.
GL.:peace:

Back