• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did Napa give me the wrong transmission mount?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a new transmission mount from Napa but when I went to remove the old one just now and compared it to the new one, the new one is almost an inch taller. Other than the new one being an inch taller, they are nearly identical. Did Napa give me the wrong mount? I asked for one for an 97 XJ 4.0L auto 4x4.

Here is a photo to show the difference.

IMG_0878.jpg

No. The new trans mount will be taller as it hasn't 'settled' in yet. I believe over the life of the XJ there has only been two mounts and also believe the cut-off when the numbers change are the 1997 model year.

I'm going to say no. The brackets are the same shape and other identifying features seem to match. I think the real difference you're seeing is how worn-out your old mount was. If the bolt holes line up, I say try it.

Thanks guys that was the same thing I was thinking but I wasn't sure if there were differences in mounts between years, manual and auto trans, or if the parts guy was just as stupid as many other people and don't know the difference between a GRAND Cherokee and a Cherokee.

I am gonna mount this baby up right now.

Now take a look at your motor mounts....and if you need to replace them check with the NAXJA sponsors...Brown Dog & Ironman

I've had my eye on the brown dog rubber mounts for some time now. I like Ironman's but since I can't seem to get a hold of him to answer some of my other questions about other products I won't be going with his motor mounts either. I had a set of rusty's poly and rubber bushing mounts in the past and both transmitted too many engine vibs into the Jeep than I cared for about drove me crazy sitting in traffic listening to all the rattles so I am skeptical to go with any aftermarket mounts. I did replace the drivers side factory mount with a dealer replacement since the driver side was trashed but the passenger side was perfectly fine.

Back