• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Use anti-seize?

i slap the stuff on everything pretty much... except for lug nuts and taper connections ( ball joints/rod ends).

I don't really use it anymore. I'm always tinkering though, and we don't have to worry about major rust up here. If they don't salt the roads there I wouldn't worry about it. You'll get higher torque values out of non-lubricated bolts.

If i didn't put them on lugnuts I'd never get them off

I'm installing a lift kit on my XJ this weekend. Should I use anti-seize lubricant on every bolt? Any reason why I shouldn't?
Use it on every bolt unless you're using loctite on it.

I put blue locktite on almost every bolt these days. The ones that don't get it, get antisieze.

Especially lug nuts. ;)

I have probably a gallon of the stuff throughout my Jeep. I think anyone who's struggled with upper shackle bolts for 4 hours probably uses a lot of anti-seize.

I generally don't use antiseize on bolts that are protected from the weather (inside the cab or engine, for example), or if they need loctite or RTV. But if the bolt is exposed to outside weather and doesn't need to be glued up, it should get a small coating.

Here in Colorado, I never used anti-seize until they started putting mag chloride on the roads. The days of having a rust free vehicle in Colorado are over.

They lie. Any thread lubricant can, and will affect how much resistance is seen at the torque wrench. Since the reason why torque values are specified is to set a specific value of stretch on a fastener, you can overstretch the bolt if you don't take into account the fact you lubricated the threads. I use ant-sieze sparingly, and never apply it to threads (anymore). I've learned that lesson the hard way. For example: When doing springs, I anti-seize the bolt shank only.

Back