• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best technique for cutting away leaf springs.

jackate

NAXJA Forum User
I have ordered my new leaf springs. I am currently preparing for the job, and was wondering what is the best technic for cutting off the front eye of the leaf spring, so I can remove the bushing and work on the bolt to get it out with out stripping the threads or breaking the welded nut in the frame.

I have a saws all with a metal cutting blade, I am also getting a cutting wheel for a right angle grinder.

I was thinking of cutting the leaf off about 4 inches down from the front eye then removing the rear bolt to take off most of the spring, leaving me just the eye and the 4 inches. Then hopefully somehow cut the eye away so there is just bushing, then remove the bushing and inner bushing sleeve. Then I should be left with just the bolt, where I spray pb blaster and use heat to get it out without breaking anything.

I thought if I leave 4 inches of the spring, I could somehow rotate it, to cut out the eye. Hopefully rotating it won't strip anything

Re: best technic for cutting away leaf springs.

The angle grinder with a cutoff wheel will probably work. The sawzall wont do a thing against a leaf.

I torched off the springs close to the eye on mine and then used a air die grinder with a combination of 2" and 3" wheels..... took about 20 total.
Sliced the spring ends in 2 spots directly across from each other... same to rubber bushing.... then same to bushing sleeve that was stuck on bolt.
Bolts backed out very easy after that but I had soaked them for about a month with PB blaster a couple of times a week.

What about just cutting the bolts on each side of the leaf eye with a saws all and a metal cutting blade attached to it, that would be easy. But will I be able to get whats left of the bolt out of the welded nut using a lock wrench and some heat.

Is this a bad idea? anyone every done it this way. I don't have access to cutting torches.

I would not cut bolts. Nothing left to grab on to. The objective is to remove the bolt, the spring will come with it. PB Blaster soak is the best approach.

Also there are holes in the unibody on the other side, with a little creative stretching, and a spray straw you can hose down the bolt from both sides

Sounds dangerous! Are you planning to have all the load off the springs when you cut? I know cutting may sound easier, but give the bolt a chance while it still has a head on it. If it breaks, or breaks the nutsert, THEN you can do some cutting.

Back