• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re-set up gears if i install locker

edgreeson65

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I did some searching & found nothing (it's problably there but, i'm stupid):dunce:. I have had new OX locker sitting in my garage for about 2 years now, I was originally waiting to change my gears to 4:56 & install the locker at the same time (by someone else, because i have never set up gears before). Now that i'm a broke ass due to having kids, I would like to at least have my locker in due to the fact that I have already bought it & don't have the money for a gear replacement. I was wondering if you need to re shim my gears after installing the locker or just install the locker without having to re-set up the gears:dunno:.

There are some people on here who can help you with your gears and WAY less than 4WP or most major shops would charge too.

I googled the OX locker, it appears to be a selectable locker that replaces the whole carriage. So IMHO Yes You will need to have the gears set up. Try JeeperJohn.

if the carrier is being relaced then yes you need to reset gears

get a local guy to help ya, save some dough and support small business :D

I installed a full case locker a while back keeping the same gears set. I left the pinion alone and the carrier only needed very minor adjustments to the shims. I'm no pro...done about 4 gear swaps. Hope this helps. Blaise

X3 on Jeerpjohn helping you out. There are other skilled guys like RWK but John is closest to you.

You will need to measure your backlash before removing the stock carrier and then shim the locker to obtain the same number. This will ensure the gears will have the same contact with the locker installed. If you don't get the same backlash you will have noise and a higher liklihood of gear failure. You will not need to reset the pinion.

Thanks for the reply's, looks like I have to save some more money:bawl:, if i gotta have the gears reset then I might as well regear at the same time (that way i'm not letting people in my rearend multiple times, because I don't swing like that :lastara:). I will get ahold of jeeper john & see what he charges or take it down to Border Parts when it comes time

I got a Zip air locker and I am having JeeperJohn do it. He has worked on my rig before. He is very respectful and helpful to say the least. I am quite young at this XJ thing and yet he respected what I had to say. That is why I am going to him and from what everyone else says that he is the best person to work on the XJ.

I got a Zip air locker and I am having JeeperJohn do it. He has worked on my rig before. He is very respectful and helpful to say the least. I am quite young at this XJ thing and yet he respected what I had to say. That is why I am going to him and from what everyone else says that he is the best person to work on the XJ.

Your in good hands with John.

Back