• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any Tips?

JeeperJim

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace a rod bearing on my '98. It's lifted, so there won't be any clearance issues with the axle and pan. Just looking for any tips you guys may have. I want to get it done so I can return to NAC-Fest again this year. It's already the second engine, so I don't want to do that again. Plus it's not a daily driver. Thanks!

Theoretically you should be able to take off just that cap, turn the crank a little so you can get to the upper bearing, swap them out and be on your way but I've never tried this myself. If not you'll need to remove all the caps, drop the trans, lower the crank and do it that way. Good luck with it.

Rod bearing is simple. Take the cap off. Note which way it was on. Push the rod/piston assembly up and remove the bearing half from it. Replace the bearing half. Replace the bearing shell in the cap and reinstall. Torque properly and be careful not to scratch the rod journal in the process.

Big question though. Why has this rod bearing failed, and is there any damage to the rod journal?

Check the side of the block in front of the distributor for undersize codes. Make sure all the caps are marked properly (I had one motor with the same number cap twice), The caps go on like they came off. I plasti gauge the connecting rods top and bottom, you will get different values. It's best to have a selection of bearings, in my experience standard and one over, but have a ten over set available (located at the parts store) if you need it. You can return the bearings if you don't need them. If I have a choice of too tight and a little loose, but within tolerance, I choose loose, You can mix standard and one over bearings to get the desired results. I usually use the larger bearing half in the top, because it wears faster. Too tight bearings can burn up quick, tighter isn't always better.
Have at least five cans of brake cleaner available. Oil dissolves plasti gauge so your motor parts need to be clean. I used Loc Tite on the connecting rod bolts, for the final assembly. Next time I'm going with new nuts.
I also opened up the bottom, put a big pan under the motor and sprayed down the whole underside of the engine the night before and let it drip off all night. Trying to do this job with oil constantly dripping in your eyes (or on your glasses) is next to impossible. Have bunch of shop towels handy.
You have to break in the new bearings, just like a new motor.
I coat the bearings in synthetic gear oil before final assembly, I've also used moly assembly lube. Pre oiling the motor is likely the smart thing to do before the first start up.

I use blocks of styro foam for the pan bolts etc. makes a life a whole lot easier if you have them organized by size and location for reassembly. You'll need some rubber tubing to cover the rod bolts when doing your measurements. Take your time and have plenty of light available. Also not a bad idea to have some Crocus cloth available. Also a dial gauge to check for tapper on the journals.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys! As far as why it happened, I don't know yet. I haven't opened it up. I had 184k on the original engine and the main bearings went. That was due to the previous owner running it to long with cranked heads. This engine is a junkyard special out of a wreck. It lasted about 200 miles. I really didn't want to replace it again because it has all new seals and gaskets on it. So...I shall try the cheap way first. Maybe I should just sell the JK and put a long block in it. LOL! The JK is becoming a nightmare in it's own. Tons of electrical problems, and it drinks about 5qts of oil between oil changes. Oh, did I mention it only has 38k on it. I should've kept my TJ!

Back