• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 front yoke SPLINE seal?

sdspearo

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm in the process of changing the front output yoke seal and noticed remnants of a rubber washer behind the yoke nut. From what I can tell this was a seal or o-ring to keep fluid from seeping through the splines?

Is there a CR or Napa P/N for this seal?. If not, how do you guys prevent the t-case fluid from seeping through the splines?

The NP231 exploded diagram doesn't show this washer/seal.

Good deal, thanks for the quick reply. I checked the p/n on other sites and it says it's good for other t-cases as well.

"YOKE WASHER FRONT RUBBER NP231, NP242,NV241, NV249 XJ 87-01, TJ 03-06, ZJ 97-98, WJ 99-04, KJ 02-07"

Do most guys just not use this washer and use a thick gasket maker or RTV in its place?

I'm asking because I can't find any place local (chain parts store or dealer) that has any in stock. Any of the chain stores couldn't cross reference the p/n. I read in one post that this splined washer just twists and gets deformed when you torque the yoke nut. Unless I find a local source, right now I tempted to use an RTV sealant (don't know which one yet). Let me know if I''m being foolish for thinking this.
Thanks

I don't know about the "twisting and deforming" comment. I've got two 242's...both have the spline "washer" and both are fine...not deformed...still pliable and usable. I would say it's necessary to prevent leakage past the splines...that torquing the nut helps it seal.

Back