• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-Installing axles in D30 without damaging them?

xjfixit

NAXJA Forum User
On my 1997 XJ, front axle (Dana 30) passenger (long) side: Does anyone have any sure-fire ways to slide that long axle back in without damaging the axle seal? As you know, the only way to find out for sure is to finish the assembly, drive it and pray that you see no gear lube under the car the next day. Once that carrier is reinstalled you cannot see the seal any more. Anyone??

Just be gentle....and maybe try to lift the axle a little when it reaches the seal to help guide it to the center. The seals are pretty durable.

x3 taken shafts own tons of times over the years on multiple XJ's.
Never damaged the seals. Clean the shafts well before you insert them and just be gentle. The seals aren't that delicate.

Lube the axle shaft a bit at the end and make sure it's clean (of course). Place a rag inside the housing so that you can rest the shaft roughly in the middle of the housing, and that will help you stabilize it as you push it in. Just be gentle and you'll be fine.

Use two hands, one to support the shaft & act as a pivot (push down on the U-joint end to keep the spline end centered in the tube) and one to gently push it. You'll know you are home when you can remove the pivot hand without anything moving. Don't over think it!

I've had my axles out a few times over the last few years and finally my driver side seal is leaking. I was always so careful following all the above advice, guess if it is old and worn out it will go of course no matter how careful you are.

Thanks everyone for the fast responses. I've replaced them 4 times (on various jeeps) over the years and the last time I pushed the seal out on this xj. Was just wondering if there was an insider secret to it but, like you all say...just be slow and careful.

The proper seals have a "built-in" steel ramp,pretty hard to screw up!

Back