• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main seal

88xj88

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my rear main seal. I know how to do it, but I want to know if it is even worth the time and effort because I heard that the crankshaft might be scratched and therefore, leak with or without a new seal.

Do you know for sure the crank is scratched???? How many miles you got on it?? I feel as long as you didn't run low on oil that the chances of the crank being scratched or scared is slim to none. Seeing as lack of oil causes the crank to get scarred. But if you want a real trustworthy opinion ask EAGLE

Even if it is scratched, one of the seal/gasket companies makes a double-lip seal specifically to address this problem. With two wiping surfaces, at least one should be guaranteed to ride on a smooth surface of the crank.

I don't recall the source for this, but it has been posted here before. May be NAPA.

I replaced the rear main seal on my 87xj, 4.0l at a 145k last spring and the crank was smooth with no grooving or scratching at all. It has not left a spot on the driveway since.

Back