• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 tagged as a gross polluter

dvlfsh9

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so we did not pass ca smog. What does gross polluter mean? The smog guy offered a few ideas. I need some help!

Give us some info on the jeep, engine, mileage, history, condition of tune, etc.

Then post all the numbers from your test results.

John, 1989 cherokee, 218,000 miles, previous owner terrible mechanic and body work. jeep runs fine, 180 thermo stat, oil needs to be change. this girl was beat, 4wd ft, 4wd pt, 2wd low tarnsfer case. will have smog report tomorrow morning. Thanks

You weren't "tagged" - you were "profiled." Five gets you ten you had to go to a "Test Only" station, instead of a regular smog check station.

I went roundy-rounds with CARB on this a few years back - despite my very low emissions numbers, I was still classed as a "gross polluter" and had to go to a Test Only station - making the wretched smog test cost significantly more than the plate renewal (something seriously wrong with that - but there's also something wrong with the fact that you pay an extra seven dollars if you pass the test vice when you fail. It costs about a quarter to send that certificate, if even that...)

When you get your smog report, the best thing to do is to scan it, redact your personal information, and leave the test results. Host the image somewhere, and link to it - you can strip it down later. But, even the passing numbers are instructive in the overall context, and help to isolate faults.

OK, heres my list of things to do before smogging a RENIX for what it's worth.

• O2 sensor - if you've never changed it, do it, $55
  • Vacuum lines - check and REPLACE all lines as necessary. No duct tape or cheesy repairs.
  • EGR - check EGR function, repair or replace as needed.
  • 195 Thermostat - 180 stat will not control maximum temps. It doesn't work that way, if anything it'll cause more probs than it's worth.
  • A brand new gas cap, every 2 years, minimum.

I'll add that you really need to start testing ALL of the sensors, if the CTS or MAT are a little out it will run rich. The 180 T-stat is not helping that situation.

I also have an '89 that was Gross Polluter last time around. IF the cost of repair is over $100- (IIRC, check) you might be able to get the state to pay for NECESSARY repairs after you pay the deductible. EGR was replaced but, try as I could, I couldn't get the state to buy me a new CAT. or replace the rearmost exhaust manifold bolt that's snapped off in the head.

Smog is due again and I'll get a new gas cap, clean the plugs, run some stuff through the gas, clean all the three letter gadgets, and properly "age" the N.O.S. cat. recently installed.

Good luck!
Mike

This is why I am glad my XJ is reg'd in a county that doesn't require smog, except for change of ownership (=

Obviously 5-90 is your expert especially on negotiating with the bizarre bureaucracy of Californistan, but I did notice a 180 degree thermostat in your description and that sounds a bit cool.

Not so much for RENIX - I've run 180* units in three of my five RENIX rigs (my 88 wasn't happy with any thermostat, so it doesn't have one, and the second 1990 is a parts donor anyhow.)

I've pulled op temp for RENIX down to ~185*F with no negative impact on emissions output, and I could pull emissions output down heavily if they'd get out of my way and let me.

Still waiting for the results before I can formulate an opinion - I don't have enough information elsewise. Once that's posted, I'll have information to work with and can give useful advice (yah, I've been roundy-rounds with this sort of thing before. I don't give specific advice until I see test results, and the general advice has already been given.)

Back