• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheap mufflers? what is the best choice for a 4.0 HO?

I like my Flowtech afterburner. Its a flowmaster 40 copy. It sounds great to

no muffler at all...nice and throaty

does anyone know if the catalytic converter is considered a spark arresting device? I know some parks require one and the straight through mufflers won't pass for one-- just a thought to consider if you plan any trail runs.

Tagging along on this thread... Is the Muffler for my new 2001 XJ 4.0 have a 2-1/2" inlet and 2-1/2" outlet w/a Center/Offset?

Are the magnaflows as loud as the flowmasters? My '96 I had I put a 50 Series flowmaster on and you could hear me a block or so away... and I prefer the somewhat calmer OE muffler on my '01. However, a bit more performance sound and gain would be nice too. (Hopefully this wasn't just stupid rambling...)

You can pick up a 14" 4x9 magnaflow from amazon for 49$ I have one on my 89xj with a turndown and I like it a lot.

Tagging along on this thread... Is the Muffler for my new 2001 XJ 4.0 have a 2-1/2" inlet and 2-1/2" outlet w/a Center/Offset?

Are the magnaflows as loud as the flowmasters? My '96 I had I put a 50 Series flowmaster on and you could hear me a block or so away... and I prefer the somewhat calmer OE muffler on my '01. However, a bit more performance sound and gain would be nice too. (Hopefully this wasn't just stupid rambling...)

I prefer magnaflow's due to the straight thru design, and stainless material. Depending on the type (round/oval) and Length will determine the sound/loudness. In your case I would recommend a 18-22" (or longer if you really want) 4x9

A $22 Cherry Bomb glasspack from Autozone sounded great (well, as great as a Straight-6 is going to sound) on my 4.0L.

Now I have a mystery Flowmaster muffler (came on parts XJ w/full exhaust) that's only a few inches tall on my setup with the 4.6L stroker, has a throatier sound but is noticeably louder, even with a high-flow cat instead of straight-pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
dynamax has a $70 rebate deal going on right now, I just got the superturbo catback (17340) from summit for $160 shipped with a $70 rebate it comes out to $90. That's a pretty good price.

dynamax has a $70 rebate deal going on right now, I just got the superturbo catback (17340) from summit for $160 shipped with a $70 rebate it comes out to $90. That's a pretty good price.

that is a great deal... I would do it but my exhaust is in great shape, just has a small hole in the muffler, (pin hole actually)

I believe you can use the 100$ one, it is slightly different, but believe it works the same.

Thats crazy, how are they even making money.

Do you have any idea how much profit companies make on a $75 muffler? Dynomax can easily sell that cat back for $100 and still make a decent margin.

I just re did my exhaust -from the manifold back.I have had this xj for 8 years now and have had 5 muflers on it- #1 flowtech afterburner,#2 flow tech terminator,#3 magnaflow,#4 hooker aerochamber,and current #5 Dynomax super turbo-short case.Out of all those the Dynomax is the best sounding one to date,with the Terminator one the second best.Advanced auto in stock at the store-local had a $10 off sticker on the shelf-card.Total was $48 with tax.1/2 " in/out center/offset.I am NOT a dronemaster fan:listenmus!

I just re did my exhaust -from the manifold back.I have had this xj for 8 years now and have had 5 muflers on it- #1 flowtech afterburner,#2 flow tech terminator,#3 magnaflow,#4 hooker aerochamber,and current #5 Dynomax super turbo-short case.Out of all those the Dynomax is the best sounding one to date,with the Terminator one the second best.Advanced auto in stock at the store-local had a $10 off sticker on the shelf-card.Total was $48 with tax.1/2 " in/out center/offset.I am NOT a dronemaster fan:listenmus!

FWIW I got my Dynomax kit yesterday and will be installing it Saturday. Looks well made, good bends, nice muffler, all requisite hardware including the reducer for the smaller pipe coming out of the cat. $28 well spent :D.

Back