• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.55 gears and 33s?

flyingxj

NAXJA Forum User
i currently have97 xj 4.0 auto with 3.55 gears and thinking of going with 33 /12.50 or 11.50 r 15 anyone useing this or tryed it befor ? thanks

Try searching.

Consensus says- Go 4.56 or 4.88 for 33's.

Stock gears suck even on 31's.

just run the trans in the "3" position, i got a nice 17mpg's(gps confirmed) wasnt ideal but was cheap and still did great on the trails

X2 on what Rob said, I'm on 33s and 3.55s right now. My gas mileage sucks for other reasons (leaky exhaust system upstream of O2 sensor and a heavy right foot) but it hasn't really held me back on the trail... if I cared about sheetmetal or paint it might, I guess.

Stock gears and big tires suck a lot more on a standard because you end up slipping the clutch a lot, on an auto the torque converter makes up for it somewhat. It still sucks but not as bad. Don't bother with the D position on your shifter, all you'll do is watch the tranny shift back and forth from overdrive to 3rd.

PM National Drivetrain here on the forums for a quote. Good prices, and theyre a site vendor.

I'm running 33x12.50 KM2s on stock 3.55 and it does just fine. I do agree a re-gear is in my future but 3.55s are just fine for 33s. DO IT!!!

I run 285/75/16 (32.75 x 11.25 x 16)

and stock 3.55 gears with the 4.0 HO...

I think it's not too bad...

it can be a little slow, going up hills it might down shift on the highway more often than before

4:10 would be almost perfect on 33" tires

you can get 4:10 gears from a 4 banger

yup been running the 33's on two of my last xj's with 3.55 gearing. Sucks in the hills but the 4.0 will get you where you need to go. If your getting new wheels and tires, you can always switch them out for when you DD and trail ride...but im too lazy for that.

I have 33x12.50R15 KM2s on my XJ and with the rack on top she still pulls off about 15 mpg on the highway. If you dont have a rack then you will probably get slightly better. But yes its can be done but power and mileage will suffer as stated by others above. And don't expect to tow much either I have two 3 seater see-doos and it pulls them but its about at its limit with the 33s and stock gears. If you have the money to re-gear definitely do it! I plan to do go to 4.56s when I graduate and have a better cash flow situation.

My jeep had 30's on it when I got it. I added a little more lift and went to 31's. I didn't care for the 3.55's in it then. Was ok on the trail and around town but I tow a 1700lb tent trailer up a pretty good grade to get out to the desert. Cherokee radiator can use all the help it can get when towing. I am in the middle of doing a 8.8 swap for the 4.10's and LSD along with the brake upgrade I need now with larger tires.

If you go 33's you will notice that your brakes are barely enough, and I wouldn't tow with it at all.

My brakes work fine with 33s honestly, and they are nowhere near good condition.

If you have to tow, 2nd gear should be your max. Not like that limits you, I did 87-90mph on one open stretch while towing a 2000lb trailer in 2nd on 33s last fall. Sanity limits you more than gears will. Note your gas mileage will absolutely suck if you do this.

Back