• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CCV question

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
-replaced crank vent hose from the front elbow on the valve cover, to the air box.

-Noticed an immediate slowing of the drip coming from the nether-regions of my 4.0l the night I installed it. Also, in the parking spot at my office the next day, the space was drip-free after a day @ work. I checked my oil level just to be sure, and it was completely full where it should be) It has dripped a bit since then, but no-where near the same amount.

-didn't do anything other than measuring, trimming and installing that hose

-If this bit of refreshing is enough to help the situation, I'm sure when I pull the cover and clean it out, it's going to be a happy camper.

Question: would a cold air intake, snorkel or at the least, a free flowing air filter (k&n, volant, ingen,etc) help to lower overall crankcase pressures and keep things equalized even more?

Last edited:
I would say no. Replacing the hose must of incresed the "flow" and is letting the crankcase vent properley now. I would doubt that a more free flowing intake would help much more.

yeah, everything I'm reading is saying that just having a ccv system that is clean and functional should be enough.

I AM spending like $75.00 in new gaskets, to seal up my oil leaks though:
-valve cover
-pan
-rms
(FMS eventually)

If a snorkel, which I plan to install anyways, would help keep these seals from blowing out from high crankcase pressures, I might just install it sooner rather than later.

Is that usually the main reason a bunch of seals would go out at once? I bought the rig with no leaks like 2 years go, and now all of a sudden I had leaks, oil in my air filter and apparently an ineffective breather hose. (It was fairly knackered.)

Clean it off and run it for a while. Valve cover gasket and leaking oil filter adapter seals can mimmick a RMS, since all the oil ends up dripping from the RMS area as it's the lowest point of the engine..

Clean it off and run it for a while. Valve cover gasket and leaking oil filter adapter seals can mimmick a RMS, since all the oil ends up dripping from the RMS area as it's the lowest point of the engine..

yeah, thanks for the info :cheers:, that's the plan.

When I originally bought the car, I had it inspected @ a dealer and some of their only notes about the car were:

-Broken driver's windor switch
-Dirty fluid all around
-possible RMS leak.

So I figured I'd have it on hand in case that ended up needing to be changed, since the oil pan def. has some leaks.

All the "experts" tend to say rear main seal when they don't feel like pinpointing the real problem. It's not their car and they're not gonna have to fix it.

Check the rear elbow- the one with the "metered orifice". I believe the front elbow is just an air inlet, with the rear elbow venting into the manifold. At least that's how mine is. Changing the grommets and cleaning that elbow helped to reduce my leaks, but it's still a mess at the moment. I've had the seals and gaskets lying around for a year or two... at least nothing close to the motor is going to rust in the meantime.

Just to update. Pulled my valve cover and cleaned out all the orifices. There was a TON of crud up in there. Resealed the valve area with a new cork Fel-pro gasket, and my leak has stopped 100%

wow!

I had hoped that this was my main issue, but honestly didn't want to get my hopes up. Very cool.

I haven't checked my new air filter to see how effective the ccv cleanout has been, so that's next on the list...fingers crossed. :)

Cork works fine if you attach it ONLY to the valve cover. I prefer using GasgaCinch. I have not had a leaker.

/\ this is the method I used. I picked out a quality 3m gasket adhesive.

This is the way I do it, and the way my dad does it for all his engines...

seems to not be an issue, though I understand the perspective of the previous poster. :wave1:

this repair is still going strong. No leaks around the valve cover or under the truck...just fyi. Unfortunately I do have a bit of oil in my new air filter again, though..

I was planning on putting on a snorkel anyways. I know I mentioned a CAI or snorkel on the first page, but I wonder if anyone has had noticeable effects on blowby after installing either one.

Last edited:
What year is your 4.0? There is a valve cover mod to keep oil out of the air filter on the earlier models..

Did you spray out the metered orifice and the tube it's attached to with carb cleaner or the like t get all the carbon type crap out of it?

What year is your 4.0? There is a valve cover mod to keep oil out of the air filter on the earlier models..

Did you spray out the metered orifice and the tube it's attached to, with carb cleaner or the like, to get all the carbon-type crap out of it?

Hi, thanks for the post. Yes, I completed this step. They were reinstalled much cleaner than they were found.

Back