• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cargo storage/bench

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Currently I have a half bench seat in the back. The way it works is that there is a "flip up" cushion on the passenger side of the rear bench with a full back portion. This works to a certain degree as I can have a passenger in the back as well as cargo but I'm looking to get something more functional setup.

What I'm thinking about is getting access to the cargo area through the drivers side:
34ffrkx.jpg

In the process of getting that done I want to redesign is my rear cargo storage. Currently I have metal rack with two big plastic bins underneath which ends up not utilizing the space too well (plus every time I want to get something out I have to pull out the whole bin and search through it.

So here's my thoughts and I'm hoping someone has done something similar or at least parts of something similar:

In the rear cargo area, I want to dump the steel rack and go to a "hybrid" rack. That rack would have aluminum (or possibly a plywood) frame with plastic drawers
333k4n4.jpg

Btw, those storage areas/drawers would be evened out... this is just a quick sketch as I'm trying to figure things out.

Things that I'm still trying to figure out:
1. What to do with that single seat piece? I need a low "jump seat" style seat because a regular car seat has too tall of a bottom and people's heads come into contact with part of the roll cage halo
2. If I do a full construction out of plywood (frame) then how much can I "port it" to shave weight and still have it remain somewhat sturdy.

What I'm also contemplating is putting the tire back inside (currently it's on a swing out rack in the back) on top of the constructed storage system. I am already at the point where I can't see our of my rear view mirror (tire is in the way) and I would like to reduce the drag caused by the tire sticking above the roof line.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Last edited:
Back