• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange power window issue

boncrshr

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, 4.0, 200K miles

Several years ago, my regulator broke in the passenger front window. At the time, I could not find an aftermarket replacement, and did not think dealer prices were worth it. So I used a hose clamp around the track. Recently checked RockAuto and picked up a new motor and regulator for 80 bucks.

Here is the weirdness. Installed new motor and regulator and the window will not power up or down from the driver's switch, however; it will power down only from the passenger switch. I reversed the polarity and was able to power the window up.

SIDE NOTE: I made some jumpers and used my trolling motor battery and WOW at the difference a full 12V makes in rolling up the windows!

I took off all door panels and cleaned connections to switches and motor+dielectric grease. All grounds on the Jeep have either been replaced or cleaned.

Anyone have any experiences like this?

EDIT: With the window lock engaged, it will not power down from the passenger switch. Driver side switch dead and unchanged with window lock engaged.

Last edited:
You may have damaged the window switch in the passengers door when you removed the panel. They are fragile, cheap plastic and crack easily. Two different circuit paths work the same window motor. 1 for the remote drivers switch and 1 for the same door switch.

Back