• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7 swap possible?

islandbum

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 xj classic 4x4 with 4.0 and a 1999 grand Cherokee with the 4.7
Can I replace the xj 4.0 with the 4.7?
Has anyone done it?

the 4.7 is a turd, the sound cool but got no balls

Go with an LS series or a 5.2/5.9 if you want to keep it Jeep/Chrysler.

I agree that it's not worth it, but I do think its a good motor.

Our wj hauls ass on 32's, and gets better mpg's than my xj.

My mom's WJ has been back to the dealer 3 times because of problems with the heads. first it was a crack, then the other two times it was the valve seats coming apart.

It's a lot of work to shoehorn a V8 in there, if you're going to do it I wouldn't bother with the 4.7, as everyone else has said. Advanced adapters and Novak make all the bracketry to bolt a small block chevy right in, it would be much easier to go that route.

stroke your 4.0 to a 4.7 or just buy a WJ with the 4.7. I wouldnt waste the time to put a 4.7 WJ v8 in a XJ.

i dig the 4.7 in my dakota but i wouldnt swap the 4.7 in anything really

however it can be done assuming you have time and budget, and have fab skills

5uxnd.jpg

Oh shoot its that Jugalo guy again. I did not even realize this. Man. I got trolled hard. Did not even realize it. He keeps doing that...2011 , really?

i dig the 4.7 in my dakota but i wouldnt swap the 4.7 in anything really

however it can be done assuming you have time and budget, and have fab skills

A Pentastar swap could be interesting, but even though it is a 60 degree V-6 like the craptacular old 2.8l V-6, it's also DOHC and I haven't broken out the tape measure to see how wide the 283hp (FWD version) version of it is compared to the XJ's shock towers.

Back