• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 swap for D35 --brakes

RenegadeT

NAXJA Forum User
Are the brakes between a '97 or '98 8.25 the same as a '91 non-ABS D35 limited slip? I am swapping the 8.25 into my '91, and it doesnt have all the brake parts. The parts I do have look identical to the D35, except for the backing plate. I plan to completely strip both axles, and put the D35 brakes on the 8.25. Will this work? I have left the parking brake cables on the XJ and plan to hook them up to the 8.25.

The backing plates are different. Plus the D35 has smaller shoe size.
I would just buy backing plates and such from a J/Y or parts store.

I used 1990 D-35 backing plates on my 1997 29 spline 8.25, there is no difference that I know of except if you have ABS backing plates there will be an extra hole for the sensor wire that needs plugged. The only backing plates I have found to be different in the XJ's is the D-44 of course, the rest are the same.

after looking closer at both sets of parts, they appear identical. I assumed the backing plates were differnet because I thought they made the center hole larger for the 8.25...I guess not.

oh.. guess I was wrong on that.
The drums and the shoes looked totally different on my d35 compared to the c8.25

oh.. guess I was wrong on that.
The drums and the shoes looked totally different on my d35 compared to the c8.25

it must be ABS D35 that are completly different than the 8.25. I was surprised the nonABS D35 was similar, and apparently identical...that's what prompted this post.

Believe they used to put 10" drums on some d35s (for the police package maybe?) back in the non-c-clip d35 days, but 91 and up the drums are the same no matter what axle they came on. MJ44s might still be the old pattern but I have sadly never seen one.

I'd throw a ZJ disc swap on it before I would spend the time to swap drums over, I did mine for $70 or so including new axle tube seals. That doesn't include the new lug studs though, you need slightly longer ones. I also chose my donor carefully so that the rotors and pads from the junkyard were still usable... :gee:

Back