• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tires constantly leaking

89eliminator

NAXJA Forum User
ok so here is the deal. every time i air down, i get mud and debris in the bead of the tire and they leak. i end up having to pop the tire off the rim, cleaning the rim/tire bead, then re-seating them which isn't fun to do. i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before and what you did to fix it. bead sealer?

33x10.5 on 15x8 aluminum rim, never air down past 15psi.

I've delt with this for a long time wade. Honestly, I think the only solution is beadlocks.

I run the BFG AT K/O's and they have what they call the bead protector design. Haven't really had any problems with this. I have popped a couple of beads when aired down below 10 psi, but rarely a leak. Bead sealer is a good option.

I run the BFG AT K/O's and they have what they call the bead protector design. Haven't really had any problems with this. I have popped a couple of beads when aired down below 10 psi, but rarely a leak. Bead sealer is a good option.

Mine are bias ply super swampers with the thickest bit of rubber you've ever seen around the bead. It doesn't seem to matter much. Although now the problem seems to be valve cores.

I've never had the problem. Maybe it's something to do with tire width vs wheel width? I ran 15x7s with 30x9.5s and now 33x12.5s on 15x8s. Maybe having the tall 33" tire with a section width only 2.5" wider than the wheel allows for more leverage against the bead for stuff to get in? As in having the 12.5" tires adds enough out ward pressure between the bead and rim to help keep stuff out.

I could be talking out my butt here, but if somehow it makes sense, I will accept the title of genius. :D

I've never had the problem. Maybe it's something to do with tire width vs wheel width? I ran 15x7s with 30x9.5s and now 33x12.5s on 15x8s. Maybe having the tall 33" tire with a section width only 2.5" wider than the wheel allows for more leverage against the bead for stuff to get in? As in having the 12.5" tires adds enough out ward pressure between the bead and rim to help keep stuff out.

I could be talking out my butt here, but if somehow it makes sense, I will accept the title of genius. :D

This. ^

I'm going to bet your section width and rim width are close to the same. I only every have this problem on the woman's XJ, stock Canyon rims with 31x10.5 BFG M/T's and after every trip I'm breaking down a rim or two and cleaning the bead out. I run 12.5's on 8" rims and have only ever had a problem once or twice and I do a lot crazier stuff that her. She just does simple trails, some off camber stuff that puts the tire on the sidewall and thats it, bead leak. I only take the tires down to about 20psi and stuff still works it's way in there.

yeah i run the BFG KM1 and they also have the bead protector though it obviously isnt working.

thanks for the info guys. i might experiment with some bead sealer to see if that works or not. it just sucks having to fill up the tires everytime i want to drive it.

The rim size is the issue. with a 10.5 tire, you should be running a 7" rim to avoid bead problems Off-Road.

The theory is as Darky stated. More pressure on the bead. However, I think it's just that the sticks can't get past the bulge of the tire to jam themselves in the bead.

I have a set of 33X12.50X15 on 10" rims that were on my YJ. Keeping the beads clean as a constant issue. I was not an issue with the 31's I ran on stock wheels on my 98' Cherokee.

i had this issue with tsl's

got rid of the tsl's, problem solved.

they couldnt hold a bead worth a shit.

Back