• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Fan

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a fuse under the hood that operates the heater fan in an 89 XJ? I really don't want to replace the entire fan again.

The heater/AC fan doesn't blow. It started blowing again and then all of sudden it stopped again. Check the connections and they were clean and the fuse under the dash wasn't blown. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

25 amp fuse is under the driver's side dash. I have had to replace the resistor pack (under the passenger side dash attached the air box that has the condenser and heater core in it), the multi speed fan switch, the 25 amp fuse ( I finally installed 30 amp fused by pass of the fuse box on mine with 10 ga wires), and the ignition switch and ignition switch wiring. I even finally bypassed the ignition switch on my 85 and 89 due to burn outs there, adding a master toggle switch (30 amp) to the dash on my 87 as it runs the windows, wipers, blinkers and the AC on one tiny ass wire and fuse (87 XJ Wagoneer).

Take your dash apart.

Pull out carefully the Heat/AC controller.

Look at the SWITCH on the back of the controller.

Notice how burnt it looks.

Every XJ I have looked at prior to 1997 model year has had a burnt switch.

All of the failed switches I have looked at have the same issue. The terminal lugs are riveted to the switch. They all were LOOSE at the rivet, this causes a bad connection which leads to excessive current which causes heat and a burnt switch.

So, you need to test for the missing element.

You need power and a ground at the blower motor.

Ignition switch, fuse block, fuse, HVAC switch, resistor pack, blower motor--that is your power path.

Under the hood check the connector at the motor--which is missing, the power or the ground? Work from there.

Good luck.

Back