• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DB or other option for 3"?

BrokenSockets

NAXJA Forum User
I have 3" RC lift, but have a fairly rough ride both front and back. Is there a DB or other option that is suitable to give better ride with just 3" lift?

I read that the RC DB is for 4" and up, and long arm seems like overkill to just get a better ride with 3".

Would different shackles or bracket relocation help the rear end harshness or is this also not really something that would make a difference with this small amount of lift?

if your running a stock shackle then a longer than stock shackle would definitely help

Pretty vertical.

And the front lowers are not at all close to horizontal, hence the rough ride up front.

I am wondering how much effect crappy CA and leaf eye bushings have also. Mine are old and look dry, but do not show any signs of severe cracking or deformation.

If I'm at 6 o'clock on the shackles, why would longer help? They would still be at 6 o'clock, just lower, no?

If I don't get it let me know.

I can rebuild a diff and TC before I finish my third beer (and I like beer) but I am a bit of a noob on some of the dynamics of lift geometry. I think I have a fair handle on it and I have driven MJs and XJs since 88 - 88MJ, 92XJ, 96 XJ - but this past year was my first lift experience.

It wouldnt help
You need shackle relocation brackets. HD Offroad makes a nice set.

Not much you can do up front. DB's probably wont work.

I have DB and they work fine. Im have 5.5 in coils though, look at a set of adjustable arms for yours and make sure your coil sits correctly. If it doesnt your lowers arnt long enough. As far as advice on this goes, if you could post up some pics of the control arm angles, coil angle, and leaf arch and shackle angle we could give alot better advice. good luck.

-----NorCalChris

looking at the approximate short arm lengths on the chart for drop brackets it says for shorter lifts ie 4" and under you will need 15 inch upper control arms. the adjustable upper RE arms I have only shorten to 15.25 inches.

I cant find any info on what the lengths of upper control arms are except that stock is 15 inches and re adjustables are 15.25 at the shortest.

KH

at only 3", your stock arms will be too long for DB's, but probably not by much. i really dont see why they wouldnt work, other than trying to find arms that are the proper length

DB's will not work with 3" of lift. I used em at 4" and my arms were parallel with the ground. At 3", your arms will probably be angled upwards.

DSCF5756.jpg

I also had to get upper arms that were shorter than stock to bring the axle back enough to get the correct caster. It was just too much work for 4". Not to mention your will have shi$$y ground clearance with the brackets at 3".

Stick with your arms, correct the shackle angle in the back, and get some bilstein or OME shocks.

Back