• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning a long arm build

b_palmer22

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys!
First time poster, long time lurker. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and looking to throw some money at my dd XJ while I'm here. I've got a Cherry 2000 XJ. I'm no stranger to the XJ. Just want to clear a few things up. I'm talking to a shop down in tampa to do my build so i dont have to worry about my Jeep being down while I'm home. They want 2700 to do a 6.5 BDS long arm set up. Installed. SYE w/ tom woods drive shaft for 900, and 4.10's for 1200. The guy at the shop claims you need 6.5 at least to clear 33x12.50's. I know this is not the case. Plus this guy is scared to cut anything. I'd really like to be running a 5-5.5 inch long arm kit. I know how the flordia guys are. Everything is flat and strait so they jack everything up sky high. I've also been looking at IRO's 5.5 inch Radius arm set up. So any recomenations for a long arm set up while I'm in the planning stages? Keeping on road drivability is a must. Thanks for all your help in advance!

You need to find a shop that will cut the fenders.

Are you wanting to run 33s or 35s?

Do those prices include the prices of the parts? I certainly hope so. If not, that's high as hell!

And, you might want to look into a bit more gearing for 33's

Those prices for parts and labor sound pretty good.

If you want 33's, I'd recommend staying with the 4.5" BDS kit. I had 32's on a 3" lift with full stock fenders and while I couldn't really flex at all, it drove just fine without hitting anything. Go up 1.5" more for 1" more tire and you'll be fine, at least until you come back and can trim the fenders yourself. 6.5" is too tall for 33's IMO.

Also, I know Florida is flat, but I'd jump to 4.56s instead of 4.10s. I had 4.56 with 32's and loved it and I'd think that 33's would be perfect with that gear. Not any extra money, but it'll give you some more pep by keeping the revs a tad higher.

900 to install a toms wood drive shaft!!! holy cow, id have him put whatever lift you want and throw the stock tires on for you. Then just order up whatever tires and rims you want, you get home from Afghanistan and take the tires to a tire shop and have them slap them on... sounds like a better plan, i DEF would not want some guy trimming my fenders especially since hes already scared to do so.
you could order the driveshaft and put that in urself no? you could do the sye and ds in a few hours, doesnt sound like to much down time to me. Tires and sye can be put on in an afternoon, id also go for the hack n tap and ds from iro. 200 bucks for everything including a rebuilt driveshaft save that other 700 for armor and rails ect.

have him do the lift and gears and save that cash man, i kno plenty of places extra money could go on an xj rather then paying a guy to put in a driveshaft... i commend you sir for being over seas also, keep kicking ass for us guys back home :patriot:

well, i believe he wanted 900 to do the SYE and the parts and labor for the drive shaft. I just planned on getting a junk front drive shaft and slapping it on. Seen that setup take lots of abuse. Well now its down between T&T 5.5 and that BDS 6.5. I really dont want to be over 6 inches.

well, i believe he wanted 900 to do the SYE and the parts and labor for the drive shaft. I just planned on getting a junk front drive shaft and slapping it on. Seen that setup take lots of abuse. Well now its down between T&T 5.5 and that BDS 6.5. I really dont want to be over 6 inches.

If you want 'road driveability', stay at 4.5" or below. You don't need a 5.5" lift for 33's anyway, trimmed fenders or not.

4.5 inches and 33's is a great set up. Not l.c.o.g, but not over the top lifted. You'll enjoy better mpg with less lift and proper gearing.

Trimming and bumpstopping is super easy. I got my 32's working no problem on 3.5 inches of lift, with stock flares.

Back