• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 xj won't start

aolivett

NAXJA Forum User
92 jeep cherokee laredo won't start. it's the 4.0L. we took it in to all american 4x4 to get it diagnosed and they said fuel pump and battery. we did both of those as well as the fuel filter, cps, and ignition coil. before we replaced the fuel pump and battery and fuel filter, all american got it to run and it was running for a couple days then died again. we tested the spark and they are pretty good, good enough for a start i think. what else could it be?

Compression! Check compression first before wasting any more money. Check for spark first...you have done that. Second, check for gas........spray start kind of verifies that is not the problem. Next pull the spark plugs and check for compression. Also, look at the plugs to make sure they are good. Likely, you checked or replaced the plugs already.

Again, check the compression.

New fuel pump could be bad, especially if they used a junk brand like Airtex. Have you checked fuel pressure?

1. Ensure fuel pressure is correct at the fuel rail. WITH A GAUGE

2. Quality of spark. You are looking for a strong, blue, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark, which may not be strong enough to start the engine.

All good advice.

Your spark needs to be HOT, BLUE, and SNAPPY. Yes, an engine CAN run with a crappy spark, if the engine is in good condition, the fuel is top notch (not ethanol or winter blend).

Check the fuel pressure, and check the firing impulse of the injectors--you don't have to have a NOID light ($4-$8), a very good DVOM will read the firing pulse, like a Fluke 88 ($350+).

You can check for power to the injectors with any meter/test light. You need an ANALOG meter to test the synch sensor in the distributor.

Compression gauge.

Should be able to rent one at a chain parts store.

If it was running for a couple days after all that prior work, before it died again, why jump to a compression check? Why not check fuel first? If it has spark, that confirms the timing chain is not busted I think?

Does it "start" at all, mine cranked breifly then died. Found out it was a $6 fuel pump relay. Just a thought, usually its something small and goofy.

Does it "start" at all, mine cranked breifly then died. Found out it was a $6 fuel pump relay. Just a thought, usually its something small and goofy.
Good point!!! I suspect a lot of fuel pumps get replaced before their time due to connection problems, like dying relays. Both my 87 and 89 acted like dead fuel pumps in the last 2 years, turned out to be very old, not so good connections from the relay to the pump pig tail connector to the pump/body ground. But in his case (OP) he said he had fuel pressure and no start as I understand.

Back