• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to identify U-joints?

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Is there any visual way to identify u-joints? Im trying to find out how to tell if a D44 im looking at has the old 260x joints, or the 297x (or 760x) joints.

Whats the D44 out of?

measure the diameter of the caps.

But what diameter is what joint?

I read that all broncos had 260x joints. Maybe I read wrong.

Can anybody confirm the measurements above?

A tool/trick a buddy told me about when junkyard browsing(if you don't have a measuring tape), is to find an old POSITIVE THAT YOU KNOW smaller joint. Take your vise grip pliers and adjust them to the size of the cap.

Then, when you find one that you THINK is a bigger joint, use your pre-measured out vise grips to compare. The difference will be quite apparent. I tried using a socket for this, but with the pliers the difference is much much more pronounced. Also, if there is an ABS toner ring, i'm 99.99999% sure it's the bigger joint. I've seen an 89 XJ with them.

But if you MUST get technical, 297s have a cap diameter of 1-3/16"(about 30mm), 260s have a cap diameter of 1-1/16"(about 27mm). ;) So FOXWAR is on da'money. :)

Last edited:
Perfect. Thank you very much, all of you.

Back