• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interesting morning commute

1990JEEPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
so on my way to school today i get about 5 miles down the freeway and start hearing the groaning, grinding sound in the front end. so i pull over and inspect, nothing obvious. i just get back on the freeway, driving maybe 50-55 just to be a little cautious. the noise gets worse and now im maybe 2 miles from school so i inspect the front end again, nothing. i continue down the road at 50mph max and then the noise comes back, the jeep start to wander almost uncontrolably and all of a sudden, my REAR tire falls off! the lug nuts had somehow worked loose and came off. luckily was going slow in the right lane. no one was hurt no major damage was done. but what really has me pissed beyond belief is that as my tire rolled away, to the other side of the freeway, someone stopped and snatched it up! :firedevilthats $250 right there. gone. called the PD and CHP to let them know and to keep their eyes open for the tire, in the off chance this doosh turns it in.

0208010858.jpg

the only damage was to the brakes, the backing plate, and the shock mount.

so can you guys keep on the look out, possibly on craigslist for a 33x10.50 BFG mud terrain KM2. its mounted on an american racing outlaw II wheel painted black. i would greatly appreciate it.

dang man, that really sucks you broke. but to have some a-hole snatch the wheel/tire is absolutely wrong. did this happen right in front of you? did you see the guy? im sure alot of us will keep an eye out for ya. i take it you were able to get the rig home? or atleast off the highway?

nice jeep by the way.

Holy crap, Tom!

Glad you're ok, dude!!

If you can find any suitable tires, you can have your pick of the stock 15" rims I have, if you need one. Did you have a spare on board?

the tire rolled and rolled and rolled. i tried running after it but it seemed as though it completely crossed the highway and went to the other side. a guy in a white work van with no markings on it stopped and got out, in the lane on the other side, and then did something and got back in and drove away, since the tire was not on my side i can only assume thats why he stopped. i was pretty far away and i wasnt about to cross the freeway. i figured he saw my jeep and would come back. nope. but some nice lady decided to drive me up the freeway and back a little to look for the tire, nothing. CHP stopped to see if i needed help, i told them about the tire, he looked for it, nothing. he has my info and so does la mesa PD. im going to drive back and sede if it maybe is hidden in some bushes or something

Damn, sucks that he jacked your tire. At least the only thing wrong with the jeep was the lug nuts, not a r and p or diff. On another note how do you like those tires? thinking about getting the same size.

yeah i just drove by again and its nowhere. im not relying on police to find it. just wanted all my bases covered. im more worried about my rim and tire than i am about what happened to the jeep at this point.

it was kind of obvious who the tire belonged to if the guy even bothered to look. i was hoping he picked it up to bring it over, nope. some people

Down right scanless. Sorry to hear and see your rig sittin like that. At least it was'nt the front tire comming off. I was going to mention the tire flying into a bush or down the side of the freeway.

That's good that no one got hurt.

I have a spare 33"x12.5" BFG Mud spare that you can borrow until you get a replacement.

It's not new, but can get you from point A to point B.

Just PM me.

E

What??

Someone actually picked up yuour tire and stole it???

WTF is wrong with people...

Seriously, who does that?! What a douchebag.

Assuming your wheel and tire are gone forever, your very lucky that's all that happened along with the minimal damage done to your jeep.

Yourself or others could have easily been hurt, or worse, killed.

I'm not saying your guilty of this, but this should be good reminder to all of us to always take the extra time to follow up your wheel install with a torque wrench.

Assuming your wheel and tire are gone forever, your very lucky that's all that happened along with the minimal damage done to your jeep.

Yourself or others could have easily been hurt, or worse, killed.

I'm not saying your guilty of this, but this should be good reminder to all of us to always take the extra time to follow up your wheel install with a torque wrench.

you are 100% correct. i have no one to blame but myself for this happening in the first place. all my other lug nuts were plenty tight. dont know how i missed them or how they worked loose. i think its a common thing people look over when doing a good once over pre and post wheeling. lesson learned. and thanks for the offers monkey55 and livinthedream.

Back