• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC output bearings

Not that intimidating once you get into it. Buy a good pair of snap ring pliers - you will need them. Don't try to get by with the pair of needle nose pliers that you ground down on the bench grinder - get the right tools. Might think about doing the chain and rear seal while you're in there. Are you pulling the case out and working on the bench or doing it under the vehicle?

What you really want are lock-ring pliars. A little different than snap ring pliers and work much better on the style on the T-case.

I'm going to assume you have a wagoneer, so it's an old style 242. Quick and dirty from memory:

Remove Driveshaft. Remove Speedo. Remove three bolts holding the seal housing. Remove Lockring. Remove 4 bolts that hold bearing housing. Remove housing and from there remove bearing. And then reverse the process! Easy.

Worked on the Jeep today and what I thought was going to be a moderate fix, turned out to be an easy fix.
As soon as i removed the Driveshaft I noticed the U joint really worn out with lots of play. Took a gamble of changing it and holding off on the TCase. Turned out that the Tcase was not the issue but rather the U joint.

Back