• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering question

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
96 cherokee sport
3" lift
stock steering

When turning normal, it's fine, but when you turn sharp, like parking, once you get to a certain point, the steering almost steers itself the rest of the way. Speed doesn't seem to matter.

Kinda unnerving, and I'm not sure what is causing it.

no abnormal tire wear or pulling or anything like that

Any ideas ??

Are you talking turned way over close to the stops at parking lot speeds? (I can't imagine turning the wheel that far at highway speed.) I think I have a bit of that feeling too, mine is a 96 3" lift and stock steering setup also. I just took it as fairly normal.

Or are you talking less turn of the wheel?

it starts @ about 2/3 of the way left or right.

Like turning into a driveway 90 deg you just start to feel it, but make a u-turn, and it will almost turnitself past 3/4 the way to full lock

What size tires are you running?...stock rims?

If you are running 30's or bigger on stock wheels, you're probably rubbing on fenders or control arms, even with 3" lift.

It could be the castor angle of the front axle. As the front differential pinion points up, the castor angle is reduced which causes the vehicle to feel "darty" or feeling like it is wandering. Adjusting the length of the lower arms to increase castor (point pinion down) should help to reduce what you are describing.

Back