• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple Renix problems

XJRunner

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I have an 87 Waggy with an 89 MJ engine. .060 over, comp cam and lifters, borla header etc. I played in the mud and it made it miss fire and not shift, turned out the alt was bad replaced it and it shifts fine. But now it still missfires when cold. not at idle only right at the rpm before shifting or light throttle driving. never when in park. Also its only when its cold. I've changed the plugs wires cap and rotor twice. I ran sea foam through it and it went away for a day. Any ideas?

Problem two. When its at running temp and hot outside if i shut it off then start it back up like 10-15-30 minutes later it runs really rough and has problems starting. After i put it in drive and start driving it runs fine but the temp spikes till i turn my fan on(switched). Any ideas?

What injectors are you running?

Could be a leaking injector flooding one or more cylinders when shut down and it runs rough until it clears itself.

Grab a fuel pressure gauge and test how long it takes for the pressure to drop off after you shut off the engine.

If its only on a hot restart it could just be heat soak, mine does that too. Its when fuel in the rail gets hot and airy so it takes a while to clear out.

The Renix is not too terribly susceptible to heat soak because it has a fuel return line. When you turn the key the pump runs for 3-5 seconds and puts fresh fuel into the rail.

If you suspect this, turn the key 3-4 times before attempting to start. That will make sure that the rail has fresh cooler fuel in it from under the Jeep.
It's unlikely, I've had mine so hot the gauge was off the scale, it still started.

Thats what I was thinking. Anyway to get rid of it? Its embarassing

You can heatshield the rail with some sheetmetal, but I suspect that you have a failing ignition coil that has isues when it's hot, and the input voltage is low during cranking.

Check the spark when it fails to start.

I would check, test the cps and thoroughly test the TPS myself, since it runs fine in park. Might also check the NSS for the starting problem.

Your Renix shouldn't be experiencing heat soak--it has a fuel return line off the rail, it doesn't have the late model (99-01) manifolds.

ARE you overheating? Describe your cooling system.

You could have air in the cooling system.

Getting the misfire at RPMs wouldn't be a symptom of heat soak. Have you checked the distributor shaft for wobble? There is an old TSB on modding the distributor from 1988 to correct indexing issues.

Also test the air manifold and engine coolant temperature sensors, for bad data when cold.

my jeep doesnt have a NSS I took it out. I can start it no matter where the shifter is

But you left the TCU plugged in? The NSS isn't just a "Park/Neutral" starter interrupt, it tells the TCU what gear has been physically selected.

IDR i did it when I was 16. it did that not wanting to start in park thing so i somethin to the NSS. But how does that have anything to do with a misfire or running rough?

"Problem two. When its at running temp and hot outside if i shut it off then start it back up like 10-15-30 minutes later it runs really rough and has problems starting."

How is that NOT a starting problem?

I'm also curious, mine also stumbles a little right before I shift (AX-15) and only when it's cold....

Back