• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slow start

nosdujshsdl

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have an issue with my cherokee being slow to start or clicking. I have replaced all the ground wires with 2awg and new ends. I have also put in a brand new battery, alternator is a new mopar that is less than 6 months old. I am thinking that the next thing im going to try is the starter its self, any suggestions.

Try to remember to post the stats on your XJ

Things off the top of my head:

Have you actually checked your battery voltage? You could have parasitic draw.

Positive cable from battery to starter no good?

Motor oil too thick for the temps?

Could be the starter..... brushes perhaps, maybe binding?

sorry, 1997 cherokee sport: 4.0, aw4, 4.5" lift, 33s,
I changed the oil yesterday, after fixing my last oil leak. the jeep was starting fine 2 weeks ago. voltage when off is just over 12, when running 13.8 with radio and blower on. I will test the voltage at the starter as well tonight and post that up

Starter is suspect. And verifying that at the starter is the next thing to do.

With the key in the ON position, you should have approximately full battery voltage at the starter. If you do have that, then the starter itself is the problem. If you don't, then you need to start working your way back into the engine bay to find the cause of the "voltage drop".

Good luck!

Was the oil leak you fixed the OFA, distributor, or the valve cover on the passenger side? Oil likes to flow from those leaks onto the starter which will kill it over time. That's why mine got slower and slower over a period of about a week until it crapped out. It had been getting leaked on slowly for many months, but went from functional to not pretty quickly.

(I fixed my OFA leak when I swapped the starter - didn't want to kill another one.)

That could very likely have been oiling up your starter.

I have heard a couple of people say they got their starters running OK by opening them up and cleaning out the oil with brake cleaner or something.
I think it would make more sense to just get a rebuilt and swap it.

Of course, I wouldn't ignore other testing to make sure that's the problem before buying parts.

Your battery and alternator numbers you posted look a little low. One of them may be on its last legs.

Back