• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will Stock 4.10s hold up to a 6 Cyl & 31s ?

i run 4.10's on mine with 33's and i have a locked rear end,that works awesome. my setup differs from your though. i have a ford bronco front end d44, and a toyota rear end. d30s are weak so im not sure what to tell you there.

WHy wouldn't it? Lots of guys run stock axles on 33's and up.

I'm sure you CAN break it...but chances are it will be just fine.

Yes easily. There are plenty of guys that run the stock axles with alot bigger than 31's hanging on them. I know many TJ guys that run 35's or larger on the stock D30 with no issues.

The biggest deciding factor is going to be your wheeling style and the terrain your running in.

his question is more this, "Can I use 4 cylinder axles (4.10) in my 6 cylinder XJ?"

the answer is simple: the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder axle are equal strength

however it is advisable to look for a high pinion d30 axle and a Chrysler 8.25 rear...

I am planning this same swap myself :)

with 31" tall tires and 4.10 gears your effective gear ration with be slightly lower(more torque) than the stock ratio with stock tires

I think when I figured it out a 4.10 ration paired with 32" tires would be identical RPMs, another advantage to this it that your speedo should be like factory

They should do fine, just did not come from factor with 4.0L and 4.10 gears.

your wheeling style and the terrain your running in.
==============================
X2
========================
I heard from the local JY that the stock 4.1 dont hold up to the 6 cyl specially with 31s
========================
They realy don't know there Jeeps. They most likey think the 4 banger would have a weaker dif.
There is also a fact that one you strap on big tires. This will let out a little demon that lives in many of us and BAM you driving over your own driveshaft.
BEWAIR OF THE DEMON.
I have been told the 4.0 is a peace of crap. By bone yard monkeys. Take all with a grain of salt.

I've been running 4.10's on 31's for years. Rear is a D35, front is a d30 out of a 4 banger. No problems.

You'll be fine. I'd trust the stock d30 parts (with any gears up to 4.56s at the very least, as long as they are set up well - and factory 4.10s will be set up well) on anything up to 33s open without a single worry. Why? I've been beating mine on 33s for months and haven't killed it yet.

A C8.25 will also be fine on 33s (same reasoning.) 31s on these axles will not be a problem.

The only thing I would do is carry spare shafts just in case. If your jeep has the 260 size ujoint shafts in it, get 297 size shafts from an XJ with ABS, or any XJ made after 95 (iirc.) Put Spicer 760 ujoints in it and forget about it.

I had a xj- 94 country with a 4.0 ax15 it had 3.07 gears and I swapped in 3.55(auto) axle1s and it mad a big diffrents. I even had the dana 35 back axle in it and would pull a 16ft car tailer wit about 2 tons on it and some times power slide it. If you can get the abs front axles shafts with a chrs back 27 spline or even better a 29spline. Your be set and once you put them in go back to the people said the axles won,t hold do a burn out with a car trail on your xj and give them the finger. lol

As stated above...the 4bngr axles are exactly the same strength as the 6 cyl. NO difference other than the gear ratios.

I currently have a LP D-30 from a 4 bngr TJ with 4.10's and the rear is a 29 spl 8.25 from a '98 XJ 4 bngr with 4.10s. I am only running 30's now...but would feel no less comfortable to run 33's.

As for the HP vs LP debate...yes the HP GEARS are stronger but not such a drastic amount that it's just going to explode. And the rest of the axle is IDENTICAL. I've seen the same amount of HP gears shredded as LP.

And on a shorter lift the LP is not going to create that much difference in the front driveshaft angle.

I've been running 4.10's on 31's for years. Rear is a D35, front is a d30 out of a 4 banger. No problems.

Just to give you a little perspective, I drove about 250 miles with the rear disconnected a couple of summers ago. The 410's in my d30 got me to my destination with no problem whatsoever and its out of an '89.

Back