• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thermostat Housing Replacement ??'s

sewerrat

NAXJA Forum User
Got some leaking from my thermostat housing that is making my belt squeal like a pig in heat. Just ordered a new housing and gasket.
Do I need to drain the coolant out first? If so, how?
Is this a quick job? 2 bolts, right?
Do I need to remove anything to get at the housing?

Hoses, that's it.

Yep, just remember that those two bolts are not equal length, that they often break off due to corrosion, and to scrape the thermostat housing and the engine mounting surface completely prior to reassembly--the smallest little piece of old gasket/sealer and you will have a leak.

I would plan on replacing those two bolts, and use stainless steel.

Next time I have to change mine I am going to put in stainless steel studs, that will make the job easier in the future.

I used never-seize on just about every fastener on my jeep when stuff is disassembled and reassembled. Getting the sealing surface clean is the tough part of this job - clean it, scrape it, use some indian head gasket shellack on the gasket so it will stick and seal, then install the new thermostat & housing. I did mine with the radiator and A/C evap coil out, easy day.

I used never-seize on just about every fastener on my jeep when stuff is disassembled and reassembled. Getting the sealing surface clean is the tough part of this job - clean it, scrape it, use some indian head gasket shellack on the gasket so it will stick and seal, then install the new thermostat & housing. I did mine with the radiator and A/C evap coil out, easy day.

Everybody forgets about that old school Indian Head but man it seals once it heat cures.

The torque value is not very high on those two bolts. Do not overtighten them or you can crack the housing.

Everything these guys said is great. Loosening the belt may help, but it is not necessary. Just use a deep well socket on the bottom to get past the belt.

And if you can get the front end up in the air it will help minimize coolant loss too.

Back