• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering pop when turning left

Combatcm

NAXJA Forum User
I searched this on google and it brought up many threads with no solution. A lot of threads saying check your track bar, check bushings etc.

It happens whenever the wheel is turned left, it doesn't matter if it's centered, or 180 degrees upside down. If i release it for a second it always clunks turning left.

I just put in new track bar bushings in less than a month ago and new control arm bushings in. The swaybar is not connected. There is zero steering play anywhere around the axle.

I had my friend keep popping it while the car was off to try to track it down. It sounded maybe inside the firewall or just outside. I put my hand on the steering shaft and then on the frame next to it and the frame vibrated more. As i had my weight over the grill the popping stopped. I was looking over and i told him to move the wheel more and he said he was, it didn't make a noise while my weight was on the front.

I saw on one thread someone said it was a frame crack, which is believable. I did my best looking around, but didn't see anything. That's not to say there isn't one, but with all the lines and welds and junk in there im not sure if i could find it.

is anyone familiar with this?

Oh sorry for not putting it in the OEM forum

Last edited:
it could be the TB backet just being loose, or check those little Ujoints in the steering that go from the box to the firewall.

Check/grease all your bushings. I had a control arm bushing that I guess was just sticky or binding? Over really hard bumps, or a combination of small bumps + right turn would make a SERIOUS clunk. You'd think the trackbar was just slapping around down at the axle end. Everything was tight, no slop, no play. Had to put in on the alignment rack, with people jumping up and down on the front and back while someone else turned the wheel back and forth, to finally figure out what it was.

I loosened up the control arm mounts, shot everything with some white lithium grease, and tightened it all back up. No noise/problems since.

Also check your steering box bolts.

Back