• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end metallic grinding noise.

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
Been hearing a metallic grinding noise the past couple weeks on my 99 XJ. Was thinking it was my passenger side bearing hub. So bought a new one. Removed the old but to me it didn't seem bad. It spun and was loose changed it anyways. Put everything back together. Still heard the noise. So after a week driving it a friend rode in it with me. He was saying it's probably the front differential bearing. I notice the noise is louder when turning to the right. Pulled it in the garage. Pulled the differential cover and drained fluid. Also bought a new bearing hub for the driver side. The hub spun but seems stiff and feel a slight clicking when spinning by hand. Anyone else feel it's bearings in the differential or could the driver hub bearing be the problem. If it differential bearing would the noise sound different when turning??

i had a wierd grinding noise for a while in the front turned out the dust shield for the brakes got bent in a little and was grinding on the back of the rotor

Been hearing a metallic grinding noise the past couple weeks on my 99 XJ. Was thinking it was my passenger side bearing hub. So bought a new one. Removed the old but to me it didn't seem bad. It spun and was loose changed it anyways. Put everything back together. Still heard the noise.

Most often the bad hub is on the opposite side of the noise.

I notice the noise is louder when turning to the right. Pulled it in the garage. Pulled the differential cover and drained fluid. Also bought a new bearing hub for the driver side. The hub spun but seems stiff and feel a slight clicking when spinning by hand. Anyone else feel it's bearings in the differential or could the driver hub bearing be the problem. If it differential bearing would the noise sound different when turning??

Louder noise when turning is most often a bearing hub. You won't know if the hub or the diff is the source of the noise until you install the new hub, right ?

Back