• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with noise in fuel rail

roostmonster

NAXJA Forum User
96 4.0 125,000, auto, 2' lift, 235 75 R15, Amsoil XL 10W-30, Purolator filter, green w/gray interior, and fun as hell to drive. Oh and fuel pump and filter changed at around 120,000. Now that we have introduced ourselves, I have a question. I know that there is some noise that comes from the injectors that sounds like a minor ticking. I started the vehicle the other day and all of a sudden it sounded like I had a baseball card stuck in the fan. It is coming from the fuel rail/injector area by cylinder #1 & 2. I normally would not worry about this but I have given this vehicle to my Mom and it is about to take a 1400 mile road trip from Texas to Michigan. Has anyone ever had this problem? It literally sounds like a bb rolling around in a tin can or a baseball card in a bike spoke. I have checked the obvious such as power steering pump and the fan to ensure there is not a cat or something in there. Any help would be appreciated.

Some injectors are noisier than others. If you are sure the problem is coming from the injector, it doesn't mean certain doom, but you might want to swap out the suspect injector and see if that takes care of it.

You could unplug each injector one-by-one and see if the noise going away. The idle should change when you unplug each individually. If you get one that doesn't change at all, it might mean it's not working at all.

Are you SURE that your mech fan isn't hitting the fan shroud?? I inspected the same noise...that's what it was. Otherwise break out the redneck stethoscope.

Back