• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep Clunker or purchase something else?

uRabbit

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '90 4.0 (RENIX) Jeep Cherokee. I am at AIT for the Army while my wife is back home - seven months pregnant - trying to deal with all this crap. The Jeep is rattling at 55mph and pulling to one side (alignment, obviously). Also, it began leaking fuel in the engine (injectors?), and she said it dumped some liquid on the ground today. She didn't check what it was cause it's cold and icy right now... Also, it goes in and out of 4WD on its own. She says she's afraid to drive it, and I dot blame here. The fumes from the fuel got into the cabin too.*

I'll be home for two weeks for Christmas, and I'm not spending that time working on my Jerp. So, would it be wiser to get it looked at, or...

I'll have $3,000 in our car fund by Christmas. We planned on waiting to April to get a vehicle (when I'd have about $9,000). But with this going on, I'm not sure what to do. Fix the Jeep (comes out of the $3,000) or purchase something else (2000 Taurus, Hyundai, etc.) that'll probably have 150k+ miles and most likely problems of its own... Now I have seen some cars under 100k (a 2000 Malibu, 98 Saturn, and some 80's Chryslers), but who knows...

Monday, my wife is going to be calling around to collect info from shops; hourly rates, if they do free inspection, if they do engine rebuilds, etc. If I do an engine rebuild, there's still the suspension, driveline, etc. to take care of.

What do you guys think?

the fuel leak could be anything, from the quick disco's either feed or return, to the fuel pressure regulator/fuel rail connection, to the fuel injectors (or their o-rings). ive had all of these leaks.... while it can be scary (especially with a pregnant wife), most are easy to fix, and really only need a new, proper fitting o-ring. if you have anything apart, clean out the 'cup' each o-ring sits into with a peice of scotchbrite, crud builds up over time. might also want to replace the plastic clips on either quick disconnect. ive had leaks bad enough to piss out gasoline onto the ground, it can be a big leak, have her park somewhere clean, let it leak, then move the jeep and check the color, is it brownish-oil? red-ish tranny fluid?(can turn brownish) smelly gasoline?
nows the time to add a fire can, you cant let your jeep burn to the ground after starting a thread stating you knew about the fuel leaks =)

the alignment issue is probably worn parts, but doing an alignment might help... could also be one tire has low air pressure.... who knows.

the same with the exhaust leak, it can be anywhere, you got rust spots that let it thru the cab?
good luck, however a newer car for the wifey doesnt sound like a bad idea, at this point. keep the xj for non precious cargo

Last edited:
Fuel leaks-

Stop driving it immediately and find the leak and fix it PRONTO!
NO EXCEPTIONS.

Usually Totals the vehicle and will be lucky to get the people out.

(All over $2 of 'O' rings or some such. Not really a lot in that whole system so just fix it.)

Good Luck,
Orange

Fuel leaks-

Stop driving it immediately and find the leak and fix it PRONTO!
NO EXCEPTIONS.

Usually Totals the vehicle and will be lucky to get the people out.

(All over $2 of 'O' rings or some such. Not really a lot in that whole system so just fix it.)

Good Luck,
Orange

DEFINITELY STOP DRIVING IT NOW.

One likely cause of leaks on the early XJs is the two-piece injector bodies. They start to leak, dump fuel on the exhaust manifold--FIRE!

JP Magazine article on those bad injectors: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/engine/154_0811_preventing_jeep_engine_fires/index.html

You can replace those injectors with Ford (Bosch) 19 lb orange-top injectors that were used on 3.8L and up engines.

As XCM said, the o-rings on the quick disconnect for the fuel line, the fuel pressure regulator, and the injector o-rings also could be part of the problem.

Check in your local regional chapter, maybe someone can fix that fuel problem for your wife.

As for the in/out of 4x4, that is likely a D30 CAD vacuum disconnect axle issue. If the vacuum system is having problems, particularly in the vacuum reservoir behind the front bumper, passenger's side, there won't be enough vacuum to keep it engaged under load. This may also present the symptom of the the air box heat output shifting from the dash vents to the defrost vents when the engine is under a load.

See my post on testing the vacuum for the D30 CAD axle here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=980642

JP Magazine on the D30 CAD and some alternatives to the vacuum system: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...154_0904_dana_30_vacume_disconnect/index.html

Good luck.

Last edited:
Check for local Jeep clubs where the XJ is and contact them. Sometimes they can help, (Might be some vets in the group), or point you where OR WHERE NOT to go.

(Auto hobby shop on the base? use to be a few. Give them a call.)

Good Luck,
Orange

(Wife First!)

Back