• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor swap questions

Put all of the sensors from the 96 on the 89 engine, and the flywheel/flexplate too. Use the 96 distributor and synch sensor.

Use the 96 intake and exhaust, throttle body, all of the 96 engine management. You may have to dink around a bit to get the best match between the intake and head on which gasket to use as the head ports are a little difference.

Be advised that you are stepping down in HP from the HO to the Renix.

no, an 89 is a renix ecu, the 96 is H.O.

ECUs and wiring do not have to be changed. Common misconception kept alive by those who have not done a Renix to HO or HO to Renix conversion.

Joe Peters offers sound advice. Go for it. If you need help along the way, post up.

I wouldn't be concerned too much about a HP loss. Most of the gains in HP in the HO came about from a bigger throttle body, elimination of EGR, better fuel management, and freer flowing exhaust manifold. You're keeping all that.

he asked if the "motor swap right over?" it doesnt, so i answered the part i knew the answer to, joe peters fills in the rest (thanks mr peters).

you may be keeping the throttle body, but you aint keepin the H.O. head, your keeping the renix head, which is a bottleneck.

Don't be too concerned about the Renix head being a bottleneck. Most likely you won't notice any difference. The HO heads did flow better than the Renix heads at certain RPMs but were not responsible for ALL of the 13 HP the HO claimed over the Renix. Keep in mind what I already posted. Bigger throttle body, better fuel management, eliminaton of EGR, freer flowing exhaust header.
We ain't running Indy car motors here, boys.

I know I'm revising an old thread but I too am in need of a motor and I've found an '88 Renix that's been rebuilt. I have a '91 that I'm going to put it in. I actually have a recently rebuilt HO head and all the intake/exhaust stuff from my '91.

My question is....can I just swap my head and intake/exhaust/sensors over to the '88 motor and it work correctly in my '91.

Thanks in advance....

Back