• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shackles hitting frame

2000__xj

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help. I have a 3 inch lift (full packs) with 31's. Stock shackles. When I go over bumps the rear shackles hit the frame. I know this because I can see the wear of it hitting. It is especially bad when I have people in the back or even an extra passenger up front. I was going to get new stock shackles but before I did I wanted to get some feedback. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

people have notched the rear part of the body away, so it doesnt contact, BUT, obviously boomerang shackles are the way to go! new stockers wont help, at all.

I would not cut the back unless you plan on replacing what you cut out.

A boomerang shackle would work well and be an upgrade.

What kind of springs did you use? most spring are the same length as the stock xj springs and only increase arch not length. It sounds like you may have really flat springs, too long springs or a lot of gear in the back.

I have longer dodge dakota springs that were resting on the frame so I made lowered my mounts. About $30 bucks in steel. Welded and bolted
DSCF0189.jpg

Last edited:
I believe there are stock length boomerangs.

Iron man off 4x4 fab i think makes a set and you could get the adjustable ones to compensate for sag later on down the road. Im not sure if the make boomerang ones though.

Kinda late, but Ironman adjustable shackles are far from stock length ... even when dialed to the shortest setting. If you don't want more rear lift, don't get them.

My OME HD 2" springs did this (and it got worse once I rebuilt the frame rails and relocated the shackle mount location for better shackle angle - since I had it all cut apart I just drilled the new hole further forward.) A set of 1.5" TNT boomerang shackles fixed it, gave me a bit more lift but I don't really mind. I almost wish the springs would sag faster so it would sit level, but it seems to work just fine.

Just email Andy at ironman he may work with you

A slightly longer shackle may give initial lift, but will allow the leaves to settle. My crustys. 4.5" leaves would make my stock shackles hit the shackle box. A set of mj shackles bolts in and gave .5-.75" lift but allowed my leaves to settle finally after 2 years. Ride quality and flex improved drastically as well.

My shackles did this with stock springs on the passenger side... The cause? Frame damage from an unreported rear-end collision sometime prior to my purchase of it. Once (most of) the damage was pulled, the contact was eliminated - even with my RE 3.5" leaf packs that are on there now.

With a straight body, the stock shackles should not hit anything - look around for any kinks in the frame rails, particularly right where the hitch plates end toward the front of the vehicle (assuming you have a hitch).

Boomerang shackles are also an option, as suggested by others - remember that you'll end up with roughly 1/2" of lift for each inch longer the shackles are than stock (probably a tad less since the axle mounts slightly forward of the leaf spring's true center).

If your body is straight, check the shackle and rear leaf spring eye bushings - worn/sloppy bushings might allow enough movement to cause contact upon compression.

If I remember correctly, the stock mid-90's full size chevy PU shackles will give a little more than 1/2" of lift and are somewhat dog-legged. You may want to check them out to see if they meet your needs.

I think JKS makes a set of boomerangs with 1" lift for $99. That's the lowest the lowest that I know of besides Iron Man adjustables. On the Iron Man site, the adjustables are from 0-3.5" for $129. I really like his new boomerangs, maybe Santa will bring them

I installed a 3 inch lift full rear packs due to originals being so far gone that they would hit , once the lift was installed , had no issues , in fact the shackles were now straight up and down , are you sure you have the correct spring length , i know the mj springs are longer than an xj, just a thought

Back