• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle upgrade

jumpdrive

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with a Dana 35 in the rear. I am starting a build up of a daily driver and will ultimately run either 33 or 35 in tires. I will lock front and rear with ARB's. I would like to put a Dana 44 in the rear and have been thinking about the G2 complete axle and see pricing for $2500 with ARB and 4:56 gears. My options I think are to locate a XJ 44 which is difficult I think living in a small town and 6 hours from a larger city. Or find a 8.25 and build it up which here in my town would be $1600 to $1900 for gears and locker installed.
Are those my options and why not go with the G2 which I can install myself.

Thanks
Richard.

if you plan to stick with 33's I would go for a 29spline 81/4 if you plan on going up to 35's go with a 44 or an 8.8 out of an exploder

I'd go with the D44. $2500 isn't that bad a price for an axle with CrMo shafts, gears already set up, and an ARB. I'd verify spline count is at leat 30.

Why would the 8.8 be a better choice than the G2 Dana 44?
Can I stay with the 5 on 4.5 pattern with the 8.8?
I really would like to be able to go to 35's at some point as an option.

Richard.

explorer 8.8 specs

95-01 factory disc brakes
31 spline shafts
5 on 4.5 lug pattern
5/8th an inch narrower then stock xj width per side, not noticable other then if on stock wheel back spacing
larger ring gear
same size pinion shaft as d60
thicker and larger axle tubes

Not all 8.8s from 95 up are disc and not all of them are 31 spline... Some are 28 spline... Only the 8.8s from a V8 or SOHC V6 Explorer had 31 spline axle shafts... And I would never say a stock 8.8 C-clip rear was as strong or stronger than an XJ 44... It doesn't take a lot to break a C-clip...

8.8/dana 44 arguements can be had all day long, they both have their goods and bads about them, moral of the story is to find the one that best suites your needs for the best price you can find and be done with it.

Not all 8.8s from 95 up are disc and not all of them are 31 spline... Some are 28 spline... Only the 8.8s from a V8 or SOHC V6 Explorer had 31 spline axle shafts... And I would never say a stock 8.8 C-clip rear was as strong or stronger than an XJ 44... It doesn't take a lot to break a C-clip...

For all practical purposes, an 8.8 IS stronger than an XJ Dana44. Period. This has been discussed TONS of times.

The c-clip is the ONE part that when compared to a Dana 44, is not as strong. BUT you can eliminate the c-clip by buying an alloy axle upgrade kit, however then you lose your 5x4.5 bolt pattern (and some $$$). But if you ask me (been running 35's on an 8.8 for almost a year...and I know dozens of guys who wheel with similar set-ups with no problems) the c-clip is almost never a problem, the odds of it being a problem are almost as much as you breaking a shaft (slim in most cases).

Get an 8.8 31spline with disc and be happy. Do some research and you'll find out what vehicles/years have those axles (it's ALL OVER the internet, try google).

wrong, ALL expos came with 31 spline shafts and yes all 95+ have discs, the drum to disc was done some time in 95. and EVERY damn time 8.8s come up people seem to think some were 28 spline and thats incorrect. the only 28 spline 8.8s are in 4.0 rangers mustangs and some of the vans that use the 8.8. ALL ALL ALL explorers came with 31 spline shafts disc or drum still 31 spline, i dont know how many times i can repeat that stupid misconception

I run an 8.8 and am very happy with it. With 31 spline axles, disc brakes and they are cheap ($250 - $300) and easy to find. There are many wrecking yards here (San Diego) that have them pulled and ready to go. I built mine with my choice of gears and an ARB for right at $1200.

For the op, the G2 axle is probably the best choice... By the time he buys the 8.8/44/8.25, arb locker, gears, shafts and install he'll be close to the price of the G2.

If he was setting up gears himself it would be a differnet story

the OP hasnt said anything about personal fab capabilities. gearing is obviously a bit easier said than done... but if he (or a buddy) can do the welding and such then the 8.8 would be an excellent option. but to have a shop do it, but the time he adds up the costs itd almost be more worthwhile to go overkill with a stronger axle.

if your on the local ORV park maybe one or two times every three months id suggest a 8.25 and a light foot. youll have plenty of fun. if your serious about beating up your jeep, look into a 44 or 8.8. and remember you dont have to jump on the first thing you see either, find something that is exactly what you want.

I will need to look locally for the 8.8 from the exploder. That might be an option. I do weld and could handle that part of the axle swap. However I have yet to tackle gears and locker installs. So this would cost me the $1600 patrs and labor at a local shop. So obviously there are plenty of aftermarket parts for the 8.8?
Richard.

If you have any interest in learning to do gears an 8.8 is the axle to learn on. I did run into problems with my stock muffler. The pinion is further to the right and hits the muffler. That said I would do it again in a heart beat. And why put a locker in one just mod the lsd they lock up really well and you can set them as tight or loose as you want.

Back