• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 Locker Issue

Logans91XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone it's been a long time since I have posted on NAXJA but I just moved down to Huntington Beach from Sacramento so I usually post in the Sierra Thread. Anyways onto my issue!

I have 91 XJ 3 1/2" RE Lift and 31's.... About 7 Months ago "I" installed a Chrysler 8.25 with 3.55 gears. The axle came from a close friend of mine and it already had a locker installed in it. So once I installed it I ran it for 6 months and then before I moved down here I finally installed my Ruffstuff Diff Cover. I used fresh fluid and also an additive for limited slips.

I have been doing a lot of driving since moving down here and lots of freeway driving my problem is about 3 days ago the Jeep started to develop a weird vibe coming from the rear end. At first I thought it might have been U- Joints but Installed brand new ones when I bought the Jeep a year ago. The Drive lines still feel tight and the more I have been driving it sounds like it's the rear end.

--- I left a beautiful garage and massive amount of tools back home I have nothing here to work on my own Jeep --- I also really don't have the money to take it to a shop to have it worked on....

Can you Jeepers please help me figure out what might be the issue :worship::worship:

695228369_9YT5i-L.jpg

Well just to let everyone know Scott has been WAY more than helpful and going way above and beyond the help of just letting me stop by. Even if was to just talk and drool over his Jeep!

Anyways, with the help of Scott we replaced a worn U-Joint on the Pinion side at the rear axle. But I am still getting really bad vibes coming into the cab. I am not sure what else to do. Like I stated in my previous post I don't have a garage or tools to try and fix this myself and I feel so damn helpless. :(

This is my DD I have to commute to my work in HB 15 miles each way. So does anyone have a shop they recommend in HB area

Please PM, post in here you can even email me.

[email protected]

Is it a locker or limited slip? You said it was a locker but used limited slip additive. I have no clue if that could harm the locker, anyone else have a thought on that?

Is it a locker or limited slip? You said it was a locker but used limited slip additive. I have no clue if that could harm the locker, anyone else have a thought on that?
Limited slip additive would not hurt a non limited slip locker but running a limited slip without the additive would mess it up.

Hi logan, Hows the pinion angle? Im sure Scotty might have noticed if it was off a bit. did the rear driveshaft lose any balanced weights?

Thanks everyone for the concern feels nice knowing that I can count on people that I have never met.

Its a lunchbox style locker made by Lockrite. The locker and axle have very little mileage on it. I am pretty darn sure it's not the locker because those things are super solid and it's been in the Jeep for over 7 months with no issues.

Two Days ago I took out the front drive shaft and that seemed to help with the vibes but they are still there and I can definitely say that it's coming from the back of Jeep. Yesterday I went and had the tires rotated and balanced at America's tire and they moved my wheel weights from the inside to the outside. (Didn't know it made a difference)

I don't believe it can be the transfer case because it's just an output shaft. (NP231)

To answer the other question it doesn't look like the driveshaft has lost any weights.

I am starting to think it's the Pinion Bearing on the Yoke.

Do you have a SYE? If not, do you have a TC drop? If neither....I'd try dropping TC and see what happens. It's mostly free and done easily.

Scott and I, replaced the rear U-Joint again the previous one we put in was slightly small and was causing the vibes.
So we installed a new one and topped off the transfer case and tightened some other stuff.

OC Diesel said my upper and lower ball joints are really really worn out.<not to sure about that>

Back