• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Optima Blue Top is reading 2.22 volts. Is this battery toast?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have an Optima blue top, group 34, and am pretty sure I had a stuck relay while my jeep sat for six months causing my blue top to drain.

It's currently in my 96 Cherokee. When I jump it with my 97 Jeep, the 96 will start and run fine, but the second I turn it off with the cables disconnected NOTHING will work on the 96. Not even a small light bulb.

So it appears the blue top isn't taking a charge even when connected to another vehicle.

Does that mean the battery is toast?

Also when my battery issues are resolved, what's the best way to test and see if there is a drain on the battery when the vehicle is turned off?

Have you tried charging it with a battery charger (not jumping it), and then taking a reading on the voltage?

Yeah, I would try putting the battery on a slow low amp charger and then try to start the jeep unassisted. If a battery charger doesnt do the trick then it is most likely a bad battery.

Also, A battery is effectively dead when it reads 11 volts. A good strong battery will read in the neighborhood of 13 volts.

blue tops are meant to be recharged VERY SLOWLY, as 12 hour charge is the recommended timeframe. its not gonna charge up fast

This particular blue top is a starting battery not a deep cycle. I dropped it off at a specialty automotive electrical shop. For 10 bucks they are gonna try and bring the battery back. They said it would take a good two days of being on the charger.

for what its worth, i have heard time after time from so many people that their "blue top" optima failed. alot of guys try them in their boats and RVs and i have yet to hear any good results. i have no first hand knowledge of them as i only buy the yellow tops. even the red tops have gone down hill in the past few years. my opinion, but i would stay clear of the blue top if you plan to replace it.

Back