• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter/solenoid

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Know this has come up many times, but I'm more noob than most so I ask again (I did search).

XJ runs great, about 200K miles, but no problems at all. However, this morning, no start at all (no crank, no click). First time it ever did that. All lights work, fuel pump goes on, but no click, and no crank. First thought: NSS. Put in N, no start either; so probably not NSS. Checked wiring and battery, all good. So pulled out the not-so-big hammer to wack the starter (was easier to hit than the solenoid). Few minor hits and voila, she's a runner.

Although I hit the starter, I assume this is a solenoid issue, correct (since I didn't hear any click when turning over the key)? Two questions then. First, is it worth while just to open it up and clean, or should I just get a new/reman unit ($122 at Napa)? Second, I don't have a lot of time right now. If I pack a hammer, will I be able to get away with this for a week or so and just whack the starter whenever needed? Or is this a dumb idea and should I just clear out my schedule and put that new starter/solenoid unit in before I go anywhere else. I know this would probably be the best thing to do, but I expect others have done this for a while and wonder how likely it is that I'll get stranded over the next week or so (I can fix this next week).

Thanks for any input!

I just replaced an 89 starter 2 weeks ago. I thought it was the battery as it was cranking very slow and then stopped, until I noticed the headlights weren't dimming. Luckily it crapped in the parking lot about 1000-ft from the local Napa store.

The Napa house brand starter was $72 out the door after core and taxes. I didn't feel like trying to pull apart it apart or try replacing brushes. It was the original with 288k miles on it, so I just replaced it.

As you can never predict when the starter will completely fail you, the answer is to replace it. The hammer technique tells you that it is the starter so don't test "murphy's law" here!

Replacing a starter isn't that big of a job.....

BTW, get a NEW starter, not a reman. I'm not a big fan of rebuilt or reman parts in most cases (few exceptions) as the money they want for new is not much more than the reman/rebuilt.

Replacing a starter isn't that big of a job.....

Yup. Took me an hour and 15 minutes, and the included walking over to the NAPA with the dead one in my hands for the replacement.

- Unhook Battery + terminal.
- Unbolt big and little wires on the solenoid
- Two bolts holding the starter in
- Curse and wiggle it out, trying not to drop it on your head
- Ala Haynes, reverse the above steps for reassembly.

Pay attention to which bolt went where on the start. As I recall one is metric and the other SAE thread and close enough you'll strip threads if you get em backwards.

Yup. Took me an hour and 15 minutes, and the included walking over to the NAPA with the dead one in my hands for the replacement.

- Unhook Battery + terminal.
- Unbolt big and little wires on the solenoid
- Two bolts holding the starter in
- Curse and wiggle it out, trying not to drop it on your head
- Ala Haynes, reverse the above steps for reassembly.

Pay attention to which bolt went where on the start. As I recall one is metric and the other SAE thread and close enough you'll strip threads if you get em backwards.

Good advice from everyone so far.

Ok, you guys convinced me. I picked up new starter this afternoon and bolted it on just now. Pretty simple job indeed.

Now here's the thing. I put everything the way it was (the new starter looks identical to the old one too) but when I start it it doesn't sound right. It cranks, but sounds like the teeth are not engaged properly. Bad sound. I'm pulling it off again, to see if there's any damage. Any thoughts what this may be? Do these starters need shimming or adjustment otherwise?

I got a reman from Nappa (they didn't have new). They said this had to be the right model and it does look the same. Any change it may be wrong after all?

Thanks for any thoughts on this one.

Sounds like the "rebuilt" solenoid may not be up to snuff.

Pull it and exchange it.

I've pulled it but can't see anything abnormal. Any tests I can do to see if it does what it should do?

&*&^^ I need to get to the airport tomorrow morning with the XJ....I guess Murphy's law got me again...

If there's nothing I can do/test/adjust with the new starter I guess I'll just have to put the old one back on for now and prey that it will work a couple of more times.

I have had a rebuilt starter be bad. Well the teeth were worn down so it would grind on the flywheel, and not start. The teeth all looked uniform but they were old and worn down. Take it back and try another one.

Yep, that must be it. Pulled the reman starter, re-checked all seemed ok, put it back on to check again, same thing. That's it. The reman must be screwy. For now I have just put the old one back which works fine since I whacked it this morning:). Btw, it's the original starter so I can't really complain about having to replace it after 200K.

I'll return the &^% reman tomorrow. I'll order a new (no reman!) starter and put it on next week. For this week I'll just pack the hammer and prey :). She just needs to get me to and from the airport and so far she always came through when needed the most. It's a good little truck.

Back