• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn 8k verses 9k winch

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of buying a Warn 8000 as I have noticed that they are a lot cheaper than the more popular 9000. Also I wont pay duty on the 8000 importing it into Australia as they are under $1000.00. Where as the Warn 9000 will be over $1000 and I will have to pay duty.

Is the Warn 8000 a good choice for an XJ or should I get the 9000?

I would want one with at least 2X capacity of the vehicle. Back in the day(in the Army) we used block & tackles to double & triple the capacity. But that was alway overkill, as I used a 50,000 pound PTO driven winch. The differance between 8000 or 9000 isn't that much, I woulld look at the speed, warranty, & quality of each for a choice.

The differance between 8000 or 9000 isn't that much, I woulld look at the speed, warranty, & quality of each for a choice.

That is so true.

Also note: The (so called) experts recommend the winch to have 1 1/2 times the pulling power compeared to the weight of the vehicle. The factory winch option for the XJ was a 6,000 pound unit. Most offroaders like to go a little higher than the 6,000 pounder. There are a number of NAXJA forum users who uses an 8,000 pound winch.

I use an 8000 pound Warn winch. It's never let me down, it can be slow during heavy pulls, and I've stalled it a few times, but it's always gotten me free. One time I even used it to roll the jeep back over after it tumbled on it's passenger side.

I've got the M8000 winch and it's worked flawlessly on a few really tough pulls. Had to pull the entire weight of the jeep up a super steep, muddy slope where I had no traction. I thought the winch was gonna quit, but it kept on truckin and got me up. Not bad for a $540 winch with the best name in the business.

One thing to remember about line speed is that is generally accomplished with gearing or a more high-strung motor.

Neither one is good for motor life under the stresses a winch sees.

Not sure how the duty system works in AUS. Is getting someone stateside to slightly use it (I.e. take it out of the box and call it used) an option?

As far as ratings 8k should be plenty. Havent used a M8000 personally, but my 20 something year old used 8274 hasnt let me down yet.

I hope to get back to Brisbane one day, beautiful scenery there!

:rolleyes:My 8274 has worked flawlessly for years draggin my full size around. Don't know how I'm gunna get it on my Xj thought. Just sayin

the Warn M8000 is used on thousands of XJs CJs and Wranglers with very few problems, most related to user error (shock load) or solenoid failures. Pick up a pulley block and a nice winch line extension (15-30m) and you'll have enough power to recover a much heavier vehicle, I'm certain you can find those items without having to import them.

:rolleyes:My 8274 has worked flawlessly for years draggin my full size around. Don't know how I'm gunna get it on my Xj thought. Just sayin
like this?
IMG_0729.jpg

Back