• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket drums without cable guide

keith_b00ne

NAXJA Forum User
Just put new drum brakes on my 87 Jeep and the aftermarket shoes don't have the cable guide on them. Anyone else notice this or is it the brand I just happen to get?

'87 should have had 10" drums that use the Ford shoes and springs-- I've never had a set of the 10" shoes that had the guide permanently attached. Assuming you've got the original style brakes, it should be reusable with a little effort.

I just went back to double check my memory-- for once it's right......

10"x1.75" (standard brakes for D35) has removable cable guide
10"x2.5" (standard brakes for D44) also has removable cable guide

I have no idea what was on yours, but I'd be hitting the parts store for a hardware kit a my earliest convenience-- the self adjusters won't do much of anything without the cable on there.

Figured it out..... My wheel cylinders had leaked for so long the guide had rusted itself solid to the shoe. A vise and some elbow grease got it to pull off.

Brake hardware is pretty cheap. If your old stuff is rusty, I'd suggest you get a new set of springs and hardware, which should include new cable guides. The cables and the adjusters are separate, but might be worth getting new too.

Back