• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans question

Yamadevil

NAXJA Forum User
A buddy of mine is looking at a 89 XJ and said it wont shift until 4000 or 4500 rpm. what could be causing this? sensor? adjustment? 4.0 auto

low fluid, bad fluid, tps bad/out of adjustment, lots of things. That's where I would start though.

That too, I knew I read a thread about the same type of problem being cable related but I couldn't remember... rebuilding my crapbox has me pretty absent minded lately :confused1

I would check the tps with a meter, the procedure and what it should read are posted around here somewhere (most likely by joe_peters). The cable that goes to the throttle bracket is what kicks it down a gear when you put your foot in it, that shouldn't prevent it from upshifting. As Julio mentioned today it could also be the TCU but that's less likely.

My buddies 98 is doing the same thing, but it only shifts once, from 1st to 3rd and that's it. He's getting two error codes and one of them is for a "a" solenoid which I believe controls the shifting from 1-2 and 3-4. Too bad I can't find a place to buy to solenoids the themselves...

Rockauto.com has them, here is the listing copied from thier catalog

1998 JEEP CHEROKEE 4.0L 242cid L6 MFI (S) OHV : Transmission-Automatic : Control Solenoid Wiki Price
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TCS48 Auto Trans; 1st & 2nd Gear Solenoid w/ A.T.
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days $167.79
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 2N1191 {#4797403, 5016121AA, TCS64}
Automatic trans.; 4 speed trans.; (3rd Gear Solenoid)
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days $189.79
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 2N1192 {#4797402, 5016120AA, TCS65}
Automatic trans.; 4 speed trans.; (1st & 2nd Gear Solenoid)
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days $193.79

Not sure if they're the cheapest, but there are some part numbers to start searching with praetorian.

Back