• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I6 4.0 motor swap

1990xj

NAXJA Forum User
The I6 4.0 liter motor in my 1990 xj Cherokee seized up and I am in the process of trying to replace it. Does anybody have any good write ups or links to write ups that give a step by step process for taking the motor out and then replacing it with another I6. There are so many sensors, wires hoses that it looks like the space shuttle blew up in the jeeps engine compartment LOL! This is my first motor swap and it is looking pretty intense to say the least
eek2.gif
! Any help on the process would be very much appreciated Thanks.

Repair manual is the closest you'll be likely to find for an r&r writup of the engine.

Masking tape and a Sharpee pen along with a digital camera is all you might need. This is one of the easiest motors to R&R that I've ever worked with.

x2 Label and photograph everything.

Keep all bolts/nuts/washers in labeled bags or containers. Pick up a service manual for all the tourque specs.

i put bolts in bags and labled em but i never bothered with lableing diff sensors and wires all went together real easy sensors almost fall into place

Yeah, baggies and Sharpies work well together. The sensor connections are easy to figure out even if you don't label them. But if you're popping your cherry on this motor swap, label them. Can't hurt. Beats the aggravation later.

Masking tape and a Sharpee pen along with a digital camera is all you might need. This is one of the easiest motors to R&R that I've ever worked with.

Yep, all great advice here.

Take your time, do it right, ASK if you you aren't sure.

If you have an automatic transmission for GAWD's sake please don't try and mount the torque converter to the flexplate on the engine and shove it into the transmission that way--you will break things.

The torque converter needs to be fully seated into the transmission/pump to prevent damage.

Thanks everybody for the impute.

What is going to be the best and easiest swap (next to the exact engine that is coming out)? How hard is it going to be if I keep all the vacuum hoses electrical connections etc that is still in the engine compartment? Right now the drive train is the In-line six 4.0 liter with the ax-15 standard transmission. Say I found another 4.0 97year with low miles? but it comes out of an automatic Trans? Are all the connections going to line up? Or am I going to have find the computer, electrical lines, and vacuum hoses to match. I now the block is the same but what about all the other components. Again thank you guys for you’re help.

You will need to swap the throttle position sensor, as they are different between the AW4 and the AX15.

Yep, all great advice here.

Take your time, do it right, ASK if you you aren't sure.

If you have an automatic transmission for GAWD's sake please don't try and mount the torque converter to the flexplate on the engine and shove it into the transmission that way--you will break things.

The torque converter needs to be fully seated into the transmission/pump to prevent damage.

x2 make sure you put the TC on the tranny first. Wiggle t around and turn it untill it clunks into place. Then put the engine in and line up the TC bolts with the flexplate after all is said and done... and make sure to tighten them real good (refer to correct torque specs).... they WILL loosen and crack your flywheel!

It will be simple. Basically, you're using only the block and head while swapping all your accessories over to the "new" engine. Don't fret about it.

Thank you guys for the impute. I know I will be on here hitting everybody up for questions and comments. You all have been real helpful. I have posted on other boards and haven’t gotten the same help and respect like this one.

Post up when you've got some grease under your fingernails, grit in your eyes, and you're popping open a bottle of your favorite beverage. We'll guide you through it.

Can somebody tell me what the long tubes would be along with the sphere in the pics? Who ever owned the jeep before me, it looks like they severed them and I am not sure what they would or should be connected to. I want to label them before I get the motor out. Oh and my daughter helping me identify one of the many sensor wires. Also could somebody take a look at the schematics that I posted and tell me if they are for the most part what I am going to be tagging? Thanks for the help.
somesphere.jpg

Cool photos, especially of your helper. Relocate that vacuum ball up under the coolant bottle and eliminate all the hose running to the front bumper. It looks like your EGR vac lines were discombooberated by the PO. Worry about that when going back together.

Leave the AC and steering lines intact. When It's time to pull the engine, it's easier with the mount brackets removed from the block. Pulling the tranny with the engine is a matter of opinion.

If you can, get help from someone who has experience. That second set of eyes and hands can save your bacon.

Any ideas for a good engine cleaner? Doing the engine transplant, I am wondering if there is any good engine cleaner degreasers. When I find the donor motor and the engine bay in the current jeep I would like to clean it up a bit so I can see any problems that I might not see due to dirt grim oil sludge etc.

Last edited:
Back