• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After engine swap clutch goes to the floor??

spikeypuck

NAXJA Forum User
1985 2.5l ax-5
When I blew my motor I happened to have my other 2.5 sitting in the driveway still. So I took the motor out of it and swapped it into the one I have been building up.
I just swapped the engine, I didn't do the engine and tranny combo.
When I got it running today I had to put the clutch all the way to the floor and I can not figure out what I did..

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I may have bound up? I was using a floor jack to raise and lower the tranny as needed to match it up.

Hi Pard.

Could you be a bit more descriptive of the issue? Is everything bolted in, engine running, clutch goes all the way to the floor without disengaging?

Yea sorry Joe. Everything is bolted in, and I got it fired back up. Before the engine swap the clutch was just fine.
When the rig is idling the clutch has the same pressure I am used to. But when I went to back out of the driveway for my test drive I had to literally get the pedal all the way to the floor to get it into reverse. It was the same with the rest of the gears as well.

Ok.

Did you use the original flywheel or the one from the donor?

Ok. lol I was doing the swap by myself and didn't even think of that. I did not swap the flywheel, I pulled the motor, and flywheel out of the old Jeep, and rolled it to the other jeep and put it in. I was stuck on putting in the new fuel pump I really didn't think of much else.

So what do I have to do then? My brain is a little fried at the moment.. lol

Well, your fried brain isn't the only one in this thread. LOL!

I was thinking of the issue with 4.0s where the flywheel isn't supposed to be resurfaced--per FSM--and some have had problems with the clutch after turning the flywheel anyway.

Is the 85 clutch all mechanical? does the linkage have a pivot ball mounted to the body? Just spitballing here.

I will look at my FSM now that I know where to start. I actually have not done the clutch yet only the master cylinder so I am not sure. However since my fuel pump is still mechanical I am thinking chances are real good that my clutch is.

If I figure out what the issue is I will post up. Maybe I just need to adjust my clutch.. Well it is a hydrolic clutch I don't think I can even adjust it like that. Hmm maybe it will just go away as I use it.

Ill be back tomorrow.. lol

Back